Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2014 Higlander was my 2nd. I've enjoyed it. Out looking to replace and have driven the Honda Pilot (drove okay but not a hybrid), Volvo x60 (sticker shock with that one) Mazda cx9 (cramped interior but drive was super) Don't need a 3rd row but find with the smaller SUV's you sacrifice a smooth drive for size, for example the Rav4 just didn't ride as well. So I'm now considering a 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Great end of the year incentives. My issue is this. In test driving other cars, there are some bells and whistles that the Highlander still doesn't have....heated steering wheel (not a deal breaker), Apple Car Play (prob not a deal breaker), better front storage compartments. While I can get over all this, there's a few things that are keeping me from pulling the trigger.
1. Will I get used to the Hybrid driving which does feel different from my 2014XLE?
2. Do the interior controls just feel dated to anyone else?
3. Will getting a 3rd Highlander which will translate to driving the same vehicle going on 10 years ruin my new car experience? Have any of you done this and how'd it work out for you?

Have fun encouraging me as I'd really like to make up my mind!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 2017 Highlander Hybrid Limited. Really like it. No, it's not perfect, but I couldn't find anything I liked better. Before the 2017 Highlander, I had owned a 2010 Highlander Sport, before that it was a 2001 Highlander Limited. The 2017 Highlander Hybrid Limited came with captain chairs for the back seats. I found out after the fact that it is available with a bench seat. A bench seat would be more practical. Also, ingress and egress for the 3rd row seat is quite difficult for small adults. Go ahead and get the new Highlander.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can get a heated steering wheel with the Platinum package. My car has one and I use it all the time.

IMO, the Hybrid drives better than the regular version once you get used to it. Super smooth, engine stop/start is seamless, acceleration is slightly quicker. The only quirk is that the brakes can grab a bit at very low speeds (less than 5 mph) as you approach a stop, when the car transitions from regenerative braking to the friction brakes only.

If you like the car, you'll continue to like it. If you feel bored with it, something different might be a better choice. The HiHy's most natural competitor is the (slightly more expensive) Acura MDX Sport Hybrid, so that might be worth a drive.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Hybrid XLE
34 Posts
You can get a heated steering wheel with the Platinum package. My car has one and I use it all the time.

IMO, the Hybrid drives better than the regular version once you get used to it. Super smooth, engine stop/start is seamless, acceleration is slightly quicker. The only quirk is that the brakes can grab a bit at very low speeds (less than 5 mph) as you approach a stop, when the car transitions from regenerative braking to the friction brakes only.

If you like the car, you'll continue to like it. If you feel bored with it, something different might be a better choice. The HiHy's most natural competitor is the (slightly more expensive) Acura MDX Sport Hybrid, so that might be worth a drive.
The grabbing brake issue stumps me. I've owned 2 Prius and a Rav4 hybrid and none of them did this. But depending on how it's 'feeling' from day to day my 2019 Highlander hybrid has grabby brakes below 3-4 MPH at every gentle stop. I blame Toyota for either changing brake pads after the programmers were done with the design or for not fully testing and calibrating the braking system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts