Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the $20 eBay Bomz Racing short ram intake:

Good price for a starter kit. Next spring I just have to get a little more tubing and some couplers and make it a cold air.

As you can see, the air temperature sensor cable needs to be played with for a perfect fit. For now I'm using duct tape to suspend it and hold it tight.

It does sound really aggressive. I know the filter ain't worth spit but it sounds nice. I'll post a vid after some late night runs.

Reactions: spystyle

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got your previous post in my inbox ;) so I will tell you this, I don't know of its fuel saving qualities in which kind of weather, but as a short ram with a high-flow filter the intake does less work to get the air it needs and I can feel it. The engine rocks at high RPM no matter what weather. Obviously being a short ram and taking in hot air, it works a lot better when it's cold out, like it did just now and will even better later on :D But that's all I know. It lets the engine breathe better at the higher points in the RPM band and it works better in cold weather. It will compliment the headers and test pipe rather well.

·
Registered
Geo Prizm
169 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll ever understand these LOL

Short ram intake is good for winter and stock air intake is good for summer, but cold air intake is good year round ? But the difference is not noticeable ?

I'm going to have to find some test data, like numbers :)

Have fun!
Craig

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whattt, read my post again, I definitely said I notice it.

Real world though, I know it only delivers a couple horses at its best. You actually can find dynos of people who have dyno'd their stock cars before and after a simple cone intake installment and it gives you a good couple HP at the top of the RPM band on a good day.

I can't recall where I found it though, I don't know if I was reading that when I got my Golf in 2005, my Celica in 2006, or my Sentra in 2007 LOL...

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No the tubing that was there from the stock pipe is still there. I'll tackle that when spring comes.

Here's the video:

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Yup. Read the stuff I wrote under the pic on the OP :)

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup it's the same seller I got mine from.

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In Maine that thing will make your dingy rip ass any time of day all the way til May.

·
Registered
Geo Prizm
169 Posts
Well mine came in the mail :) Is installation totally obvious or should I look for some instructions ?

Also, look at this cold air intake :)

(click)

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Well mine came in the mail :) Is installation totally obvious or should I look for some instructions ?
Installation is so easy that you should be able to do it with your eyes closed. All you have to do is remove your airbox (remove the rubber pipe leading to it, pull out the air intake temp sensor, take the top off, remove the filter and undo the bolts holding it into the engine bay). Then remove the rubber pipe leading to the throttle body by undoing the metal clamp. Then it's simply a case of sliding the new joiner on with the alloy pipe, clamping it in place and pushing the air intake temp sensor into the rubber bung of the alloy pipe. That's all there is to it :)

·
Mr. Roo
Lexus IS300
11,540 Posts
It sure is a very easy install, plus I agree that it is one of the best things you can do! So cheap, and makes a biiiig difference in the winter. I always swap out my custom cold-air intake for the cheap Ebay short ram when the temperature falls below 50 degrees. air intake temperature below that reduces engine performance, so having the short intake on helps get warmer engine air with way less restriction than stock. But you will need to replace the short intake with stock or cold air in the summer, or else your performance will be worse than stock :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts