Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 07' Super White double cab TRD Sport. I plan on adding 3" of lift and 285/70 R17's. I know this is a really common lift tire combo around here but had a few questions.

It seems the preffered lift around here is the OME 885's and rear AAL but I would like some info on the Revtek spacer kit. It uses a 1" block for the rear. My local 4x4 shop builds about 1-2 Tacomas for the local dealership a month and uses this kit and this kit only. They say they have had zero issues with the 15-20 trucks they have built for the dealership. When I bought my truck I talked to the dealer about the lift and they also agree that the customers buying these trucks have had no complaints and they have not seen them coming back into service etc.

The 4x4 shop also told me that Toyota TRD had at one point thought about buying the patent for this kit and selling it as a "TRD" part. Don't know the details on that though???

That being said...I would simply like some info on the kit for anyone who has had experience with this kit good or bad. If you have never run the kit or at least driven in a truck with one or talked to someone about it please don't simply bash the kit because you like your 885's and AAL. I understand that setup works well but just want real world experiences from people with the Revtek kits.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I'm not trying to bash the rear spacer just because I have AAL's, but do consider this: if you have a problem with the rear sagging when you load the bed the block won't help you. An AAL will stiffen the spring and help prevent hitting the bump stops off-roading, going over speed bumps, or just driving down a dirt road with a few things in the bed. If you don't have that problem, then by all means get the lift. If you do, it won't help solve that problem. Same thing if you plan on towing anything. Just something to think about. :)

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
I don't think people are interested in this lift?
But for the most part it is a lift kit. It's the most basic and cheapest kit available. It works great unless you are doing some serious offroading.
Do you have a 4x4??
If not the rev tech would be fine. It would basically keep your stock ride characteristic just higher.
It will not stiffen you suspension!! Some people say that but it is impossible due to the laws of physics???
The only thing is like with all 3" lifts you loose some of your down travel.
And because you stock shock are almost maxed out (If you have the Bilsteins, you still have some travel) But that is what would give you the sensation that you suspension is stiffer.
I know I didn't answer your question because you wanted real world experience.
But I hope this information helped?
Good luck!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
+1 on PT

I have the Revtek lift w/ AAL on my truck. I went with the assumption that I was going to haul some heavy loads in the future and didn't want it to sag as much. The only thing about adding a leaf is of course it makes the rear end stiffer. With the shitty roads around my place, going over bumps while turning makes my rear slide out a bit, more than when it was stock.

If you got the money, go with a coilover setup for improved ride quality. Otherwise, my Revtek and I'm sure NorCal's Revtek setup works just fine.

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
I had the RevTek kit installed by a shop that lifts trucks for various dealers in the area and mine has turned out great.

It's a little stiff sometimes over potholes and speed bumps, other than that it has turned out well.

There are definately better kits out there though. :lol:

The RevTek includes everything you need, even diff-drop spacers for a 4x4. If you can, ask for an AAL in the rear and not a block.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bruinsma said:
I just purchased a 07' Super White double cab TRD Sport. I plan on adding 3" of lift and 285/70 R17's. I know this is a really common lift tire combo around here but had a few questions.

It seems the preffered lift around here is the OME 885's and rear AAL but I would like some info on the Revtek spacer kit. It uses a 1" block for the rear. My local 4x4 shop builds about 1-2 Tacomas for the local dealership a month and uses this kit and this kit only. They say they have had zero issues with the 15-20 trucks they have built for the dealership. When I bought my truck I talked to the dealer about the lift and they also agree that the customers buying these trucks have had no complaints and they have not seen them coming back into service etc.

The 4x4 shop also told me that Toyota TRD had at one point thought about buying the patent for this kit and selling it as a "TRD" part. Don't know the details on that though???

That being said...I would simply like some info on the kit for anyone who has had experience with this kit good or bad. If you have never run the kit or at least driven in a truck with one or talked to someone about it please don't simply bash the kit because you like your 885's and AAL. I understand that setup works well but just want real world experiences from people with the Revtek kits.

Thanks
I have the Revtek on my truck (as installed by Les Schwab) and here are a few of the thoughts I have on it.

As mentioned, it won't help with sagging. As a matter of fact, if your rear end is already sagging, then it will exagerate the condition. By Revtek's own admission, they lift the rear less than the front to level the truck and reduce the factory "rake." In my case, I'd had a Leer shell on the back for about nine months and the extra couple hundred lbs was forcing the rear down slowly over time. The real problem created there is that your headlights will be illuminating the tree tops.

I wasn't sure what to do about that situation, and after much deliberation, I purchased and installed a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags. Great stuff these air bags, at least for my application. I do alot of hunting in the fall and wheeling in the snow during winter, and so I'm out there for multiple days and usually carry between 300 and 700 lbs of gear. I would imagine the air bags might not be the best solution if you do alot of the kind of wheeling that articulates the hell out of your supsension. Firestone says not to lift the truck by the frame as it might damage the bags, and if you do a lot of "dry" wheeling, then you'll probably simulate that condition. Just my opinion of course, I don't know that this would or could really happen, I'm just taking a guess.

A side note about the airbags; they won't fit if you have a Revtek block (or any block) lifting the rear end. The reason for this is that their lower mounting brackets have flanges designed to rest atop your axle. This prevents inward buckling of the air spring when the truck is under heavy load. I called Firestone's tech support and talked to them about this condition. They do not currently sell brackets to deal with this situation, and so you have to fabricate your own. I have a friend who is a mill wright, and so talked to him about how to resolve it. What we came up with was remarkably simple, and very effective. I cut a couple three inch sections off a garage door opener t-rail that my neighbor was discarding, and bolted them onto the "stock" support brackets to extend them about 1.25 inches. The trick worked like a charm, and it would take a pretty well trained eye to note that I'd done anything that wasn't "factory." The t-rail is very strong to begin with, and I attached it to the bottom bracket using three bolts with holes drilled in a triangle pattern to further strengthen the installation.

As far as the lift itself goes, I have no complaints. It is clearly well made and well thought out for what it is. It's going to make your ride a little more rough, which is true of any spacer lift kit -- no avoiding that. However, I have no unusual vibration issues, and the truck aligned correctly after the install. The bottom line is that I have nothing bad to say about this kit. It works as advertised.

One good thing about the Revtek and I would imagine Toytec as well is that you don't have to do any permanent modifications to the truck. In the future when you have more money/knowledge and a clearer picture of your needs, you can simply take it off and install whatever sort of lift you like. The Revtek was the best I could afford, and considering that virtually all my wheeling is done in deep snow, it performs superbly.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
NorCalTacoma said:
I had the RevTek kit installed by a shop that lifts trucks for various dealers in the area and mine has turned out great.

It's a little stiff sometimes over potholes and speed bumps, other than that it has turned out well.

There are definately better kits out there though. :lol:

The RevTek includes everything you need, even diff-drop spacers for a 4x4. If you can, ask for an AAL in the rear and not a block.
What type of lift do you have now?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys!!! My TRD Sport is a 4x4 but I don't plan on "wheeling" it. I live in Colorado so the 4x4 is a neccesity. I have a Jeep on full widths axles and 37's though so that is what I use for the trails. The Tacoma is too nice of a truck to beat up on the rocks. The lift is more for look and stance as I think the Tacoma looks 100% better with a small lift. When I want to beat on something I will take my Jeep out:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts