Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I Drink your Milkshake
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a replacement threaded shift knob for my 05 automatic. I have been able to confirm without a doubt that the threading is m8 x1.25. I took my knob to a hardware store. I bought a nut to double check on the post.
Here is a pic of the nut on the post

I want to replace the knob with a round silver one. I have only been able to find one site that carries anything in the size i need and they are all pretty pricey.

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/

And the round one does not even come in the right size. I don't need any thing fancy with extra weighting for fast shifting - it's an auto.

Here is the look I want. I like the second one down

Any suggestions on where I might find something like this without making it?

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
I understand your problem. I couldn't find anything either so I ended up making my own.

The website you posted seems to have some easy designs to make. Although a Ball is a bit harder. Is weight a concern? I made mine out of Aluminum.

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
Somebody on cardomain has an aftermarket knob on their auto... search around on there... if I remember correctly, the truck was a red DC OR.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
GTCOMA said:
That thing is awesome!

I have just been leaning more toward the ball design, but I am open to suggestions.

How much would you charge to make something like that?
Like the one I have? Or the ball??
The one I have is actually a 2 piece design.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
thas pretty cool toku, can you make one shaped like the regular leather shifter out of aluminum, and engrave trd onto it?

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
GTCOMA said:
Something like that would be great, but I'd rather not pay $110
WOW! $110 is what they charge????
I'll see what the materials cost and how long it would take to make it and I will let you know? Don't worry not an "Arm and a Leg" Maybe just an arm?!LOL:lol: :lol:

J/K!!!!

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
docindahouze said:
thas pretty cool toku, can you make one shaped like the regular leather shifter out of aluminum, and engrave trd onto it?
Not sure Doc? The one that I'm looking into for "GTCOMA" Would be easy I would just have to turn it down on my lathe.
The factory shifter would be more a manual cutting design. It is possible but would take a lot of time.:dunno:

·
Registered
dub cab
214 Posts
I took the shift knob off my friend's acura RSX and it fit just a little short but, threads are the same.

·
I Drink your Milkshake
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a variety of these RAZO shift knobs and they have different sized threaded inserts. They say they have an 8mm adapter, but it does not say what the thread size is. I kinda like the silver and the gunmetal finish ones. it looks like i could pick one up on Ebay for under $40 including shipping. Which one do you think looks good?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting a new shift knob myself. It's just...I don't want to grab it and have it burn my hand.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
musubi said:
I wouldn't mind getting a new shift knob myself. It's just...I don't want to grab it and have it burn my hand.

I have a metal one on my 5spd corolla. It has a plastic top which helps, but it's a bitch in summer AND winter! Either burn your hands or freeze them! :lol: Needless to say my wife wants it off since she drives it more than I do. I just bought it cuz it had 4 buttons to control things with!

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
I have a metal one on my 5spd corolla. It has a plastic top which helps, but it's a bitch in summer AND winter! Either burn your hands or freeze them! :lol: Needless to say my wife wants it off since she drives it more than I do. I just bought it cuz it had 4 buttons to control things with!
I would agree! If I forget to put up my sun shade on the windshield then the shifter gets really hot.
As long as I remember to do so it is O.K.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
toku58 said:
I would agree! If I forget to put up my sun shade on the windshield then the shifter gets really hot.
As long as I remember to do so it is O.K.
What are you gonna do when you move to Washington and it's below freezing out? :lol: That's one of the reasons I like the leather wrapped wheel and shifter. Even that doesn't get as hot or cold as standard plastic/vinyl/whatever they use. A LOT better than metal too! :thumbsup:

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
What are you gonna do when you move to Washington and it's below freezing out? :lol: That's one of the reasons I like the leather wrapped wheel and shifter. Even that doesn't get as hot or cold as standard plastic/vinyl/whatever they use. A LOT better than metal too! :thumbsup:
Yeah? Jon! That might become a problem??
I was thinking that I would rubber dip the shifter. You know like the handles of tools????
Just an Idea?
If worse comes to worse? Then I still have the stock shifter. Could use it for the winter!:D

·
Certified Imposter
4X4 DC Sport, SB
1,408 Posts
toku58 said:
Yeah? Jon! That might become a problem??
I was thinking that I would rubber dip the shifter. You know like the handles of tools????
Just an Idea?
If worse comes to worse? Then I still have the stock shifter. Could use it for the winter!:D
Yeah, I can just see it...

"Hey, honey? We CAN'T go to the opera tonight. It's supposed to get really cold, and I have to stay home and rubber my knob." :lol: :naughty:

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
SMEbay said:
Yeah, I can just see it...

"Hey, honey? We CAN'T go to the opera tonight. It's supposed to get really cold, and I have to stay home and rubber my knob." :lol: :naughty:
LOL!!:lol:
Hey maybe she could do it for me!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts