Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, great site ya'll have going here.

I ported and polished the throttle body on my F-150 and was able to shave .3 off my e/t and gain tremendous throttle response as well.

A friend of mine has a 1994 Toyota Camry with a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine. It looks like I could port out and polish the TB quite a bit, but I thought I'd check here first. Are there any bearing assemblies just under the surface of the walls I should look out for? Also, what is the stock size of the throttle plate? I'm not worried about overboring, if I do I can fabricate a new larger plate.

Any information is greatly appreciated, keep up the awesome work on this site!

Garret :cool:

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
Hmmmm....

I was wondering if I could pick up an intake manifold/ TB assembly at the wrecking yard and attempt something similar, but it involves laying some spot welds in the throat for bumps, and changing the intake manifold to be oval, or tear drop in cross section.... still thinking though.

·
RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG
516 Posts
no one here has really messed with the throttle body. on some other boards they have made custom intqke manifolds and used bigger throttle bodies. if you do a good job on your friends you could prob make some money by dong it for people on this board. i know i would like it done to mine.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
its not worth it with the 5sfe...

its not worth it with the 1mz v6...

the only time it will be worth it is when the car is turbo'd and the engine has been built up, and when you have a crazy amount of boost, and you are racing... THEN you can replace the throttle body with a bigger one... not try to bore it out.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
gotta agree with Zoni on this one, no need to do anything to the TB until its forced induction

·
RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG
516 Posts
well some of us arent goin fi right away. i would like a bigger throttle body for mine with the cams and p&p head that i'm getting. besides no one makes bigger ones for ours cars. our only option is to custom fab one onto our intake manifold. i'd rather just bore mine out a bit.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
www.off-road.com/toyota/ reviews/throttlebody/ <that guy did it and he felt a response and ive changed carbs on my 3tc and felt a difference when you bore it out it helps your engine get more air and if you can get a tb spacer it will help with tq you don't need to turbo it right away you can just run with it like it is. but i guess if your not fi then don't bother p&p cams headers intake or anything else since they won't give you massive amounts of power? if you add up what all those give together then it's worth it

·
Mr. Toyota
140 Posts
I had mine done at a local machine shop. They fabricated a new plate and all not sure how much bigger they went though. I just told them to go as big as they safely could :). There is a throttle response improvement for sure. Other than that I am not sure as to whether there were any big changes. I also had the intake manifold overbored to match, so maybe that all adds up to a tiny increase :D. My total bill was 300ish, I think, but everything is expensive when it's custom :(.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good replies, thanks a bunch guys. However I was hoping to get more factual data from someone who's had it done on their car.

Everyone knows forced induction motors will always respond much better to small, low buck mods than N/A ones. On my own N/A 4.6l V8 in my 5,000 pound truck I noticed a considerable gain in upper end torque and of course throttle response. I also have timeslips from various runs and dates at the track showing a steady improvement. I bored mine in stages, shaving off a little each week being careful not to bore too much. This past week I went crazy with a sanding drum set and now have two worn out sanding drums and a nice pile of metal shavings. I also have a very slick looking TB (after polishing) ready for the track this weekend.

Can anyone provide a basic how-to in removing the throttle body from the 2.2l engine, are there any tricky vaccuum hoses or coolant lines to remove? Is there a gasket to the TB neck and is it resuable? Is there any throttle position sensor attached to the TB?

Thanks again for any info you guys can provide, you've been very helpful so far. Sorry if it seems like I'm a newbie trying some crazy stunt, it's just this isn't my car and I know porting and polishing the TB is pretty safe, I just don't want to mess anything up in the process.

·
Grenaded piston
6,614 Posts
Fordtrucktexan said:
Can anyone provide a basic how-to in removing the throttle body from the 2.2l engine, are there any tricky vaccuum hoses or coolant lines to remove? Is there a gasket to the TB neck and is it resuable? Is there any throttle position sensor attached to the TB?
Theres a few bolts holding the throttle body to the intake manifold.

3 hoses on the bottom of the throttle body. Coolant in / out and a vacuum hose.

There is a gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. The gasket is either metal (reuseable) or a normal gasket (one use).

Yes there is a throttle position sensor (tps) attached to the tb. Theres also a iacv (intake air control valve) attached to the tb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.