Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Raymond10078
2016 Corolla LE Plus
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody removed the Throttle Body Gasket Screen?

I was perusing the shop manual, and came across a picture of the throttle body gasket, and I was surprised.

Internet searching didn't reveal anything, except that other Toyota trucks have the screen, and some have removed them, with little improvements noted.

I may go ahead an just remove it, it's a cheap part, in case the engine "needs" that screen for some unknown reason.

Attachments

·
6,488 Posts
You likely could remove it but there is NO WAY you will see ANY performance gain from that.
Any perceived gain would be purely placebo.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,984 Posts
Looks like it has a couple of wires attached to the bottom. I suspect it is a heater for cold starts.
Remove it and your fuel economy and cold performance will suffer.

It's there for a reason. Toyota doesn't add parts for no reason if a simple o-ring would suffice.

·
Raymond10078
2016 Corolla LE Plus
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not connected to any wires. At this point, I’m just interested in it’s finction.

I read on another site, that it’s removal netted less than one percent on a before/after dyno test, so I agree that there’s no performance improvement to speak of.

·
Registered
39 Posts
removed it from mine today while i had the throttle body off. it isnt exactly a restriction. absolutely no noticeable change in hp or sound as expected.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This screen is for airflow smoothing so that the MAF sensor gets a good laminar airflow across the sensor. Removal will lead to more turbulent air and thus cause the car to constantly chase the readings and alter the duty cycle of the injectors more frequently than would otherwise be necessary. I’d leave it in personally.

·
Raymond10078
2016 Corolla LE Plus
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The screen is located many inches DOWN STREAM of the air flow mass sensor.

The screen is in between the throttle body and the manifold.

Sorry to say - that is not the purpose of the screen.

I went ahead and removed mine.

No noticeable change, but even if it was 1 HP, it took all of five minutes. These small things add up.

I also removed the charcoal filter/screen in the air filter box.

I have a TRD upper air filter and TRD air filter. The TRD parts made a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to inform you, but my reply is correct. The air in the intake tract pulses and is turbulent. The restriction PAST the MAF reduces vortices from interfering with a good reading. I’m not going to argue with you.

·
Premium Member
14,822 Posts
Sorry to inform you, but my reply is correct. The air in the intake tract pulses and is turbulent. The restriction PAST the MAF reduces vortices from interfering with a good reading. I’m not going to argue with you.
I don't believe you're correct, I've seen similar gaskets and screens in some later Chrysler models with speed density airflow measuring and earlier Toyota models with MAF don't have any screens like that. Additonally airflow smoothing isn't accomplished with a screen, it's accomplished with fins which are sometimes arranged into a honeycomb like pattern and are very near the MAF, not a long distance away as that distance any any turns or bends will un-straighten the airflow. Also the screen is only on one side, so it can't be straightening air since a throttle plate opens at both sides as it rotates.

I honestly don't know the purpose of those screens but they're only on one side so it's not to catch debris either. Maybe it's to induce some turbulence at low throttle opening for better mixing of PCV inside the plenum or better mixing of EGR gases inside the plenum at lower airflow?

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,984 Posts
The screen is FAR past the MAF (like 2ft) and has no impact on the readings.

You might be thinking of the VOC mesh that is in the airbox just above the air filter... but even that, has no impact on performance, and the air filter provides enough "straightening" for the MAF.

Sorry... your conception of the screen is incorrect, even though I do agree with you that there is no point in removing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
it has absolutely no affect to maf readings being so far away and being post throttle body. the throttle body itself will cause much more turbulence anyways.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,984 Posts
it has absolutely no affect to maf readings being so far away and being post throttle body. the throttle body itself will cause much more turbulence anyways.
This.
It's not a Diesel.
The butterfly completely isolates that screen from the MAF.

I'm not sure what the thing does, but I can guarantee that what it DOESN'T do is have an effect on a sensor that is 3 feet away at the other end of a corrugated tube with a noise-trap resonator chamber in the middle of the run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts