Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Edmonton
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago my throttle body started sticking above 3500 RPM.
Had it happen about 20 times over a 1 week span. Temperature outside was -20 to -40°C.

I could tap the peddle and it would release unless it was close to full open. Then I had to shut the car off pull over and release at the throttle body. Happened 3 times on the highway. Better there than city streets.

Temperatures are now +5 to -15°C and problem has not returned.

Has anyone in a Northern climate had this problem. Iam wondering if tolerances at the low temperature are causing the problem.

Only other thing I can think of is crap built up in th throttle body.

I noticed in the manual it says to drain the coolant before removing the throttle body. If I dont how much of a mess will this make. Seems the throttle body is at the high point of the engine and the coolant would drain.

Thanks

·
'90 Cressida
200 Posts
most likely crap gumming it up. it seems to happen with the 7M. just remove it and clean it up with a can of throttle body cleaner and some soft rags, its not hard and doesn't take long.

if you sign up over at www.toyotacressida.net theres a very good how to article on this in the FAQ section. you have to log in to see the forums though! its kind of a running joke...you'll see what i mean.

finally if your TB is somehow shot i do have a spare here i'd be willing to sell you cheap. i'd even clean it up for you.

·
Registered
Edmonton
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be able to get at it on saturday. Ill clean it up and see how it works after.
I do belong to the cressida forum too but was here looking at the supra forum and decided to leave my question here. Tried to buy an 84 supra with a spare 7M for $700.
He sold it in one day.
Thanks

·
'90 Cressida
200 Posts
a 7M for $700?? wow....thats a bit, was it the GTE? going rate for the GE seems to be around $500 here in ontario, even less. hell if you hold out long enough you can get one for free or near enough. i'm getting my hands on a lower end in the spring and i've got a spare head here. i feel like a ******* lol.

but yea might as well try the cleaning. oh and grab some of the RTV silicone so you dont need to replace the TB gasket - you can just put some of that on both sides of the old gasket and it'll hold fine for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.