Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Avalon, it's a great car, however my wife says, when I drive, when I take off, the car nearly jerks her head off. The throttle is very responsive!
I find it very difficult to finesse the throttle in a way so that it takes off smoothly, anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have seen throttle bodies get dirty to the point that the throttle plate "sticks" closed and it makes it very hard to open it off idle without jerking the car as it snaps open. If you try to open the throttle very slowly can you feel it stick and then pop loose? It is subtle but if you are really paying attention you can definitely feel it through the pedal. Sometimes the sticking is intermittent and you can make it worse by letting the throttle snap closed hard (to test)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen throttle bodies get dirty to the point that the throttle plate "sticks" closed and it makes it very hard to open it off idle without jerking the car as it snaps open. If you try to open the throttle very slowly can you feel it stick and then pop loose? It is subtle but if you are really paying attention you can definitely feel it through the pedal. Sometimes the sticking is intermittent and you can make it worse by letting the throttle snap closed hard (to test)
Thanks steve108, I'll have to check it out maybe this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts