Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We needed to get a roof box for road trips and I had read several posts about the roof rails being too short which causes boxes to hit the rear hatch when opened or having to be modified to move them forward which can be a problem if too much of the box sits too far forward.

I purchased the Thule Atlantis 1800XT at REI (20% off) :woot: and installed it yesterday. To my surprise I got it to fit without any modifications to the box and it does not hit the rear hatch when opened! I already had Yakima 58" crossbars & Yakima Low Rider mounts. I went with the Thule box since they are shorter in lenght than the Yak boxes for the same cu ft. size.

Tips to install: Start by mounting the front bar as close to the front as possible. Mount the rear bar 30" back from the front bar. (31-32" would work as well but harder to get the clearance just right). The min clearance for the 1800 is 24" so 30" is sufficicient bar spead. Intall box on top and move the box forward, open the rear hatch to check clearance & then tighten the clamps when you get the box positioned. If I would have started with the front bars first, it would have saved me an hour of messing around with trying to position the bars.

Here are some pics of the box on the HL, bar positions & clearance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, bought the same set up in December after dry fitting it prior to purchase and realizing it would actually fit with about 2" of room to spare and no mods needed. I was psyched because the 1600 would not fit my skis. I was really happy when I stuffed the 1800 like a sausage and realized that the 1600 would not have done the job for all of my families stuff. I also got the 20% discount and have a blizzard pearl LTD with the silver 1800, looks sharp.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Looks Great. Can you tell me what you paid pre-tax for the 1800XT ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks for MarkFrank for posting pics of this setup. We recently got an '09 Highlander Sport and wanted a cargo box for family camping trips. I was told by a Rack Attack technical advisor that the 16-cubic-ft Thule box was the largest that would fit the vehicle, but Mark's pics gave me confidence to go ahead and order the 1800XT. I used Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad towers on the factory roof rails and Thule RB53 Rapid Aero bars. I bought extra locks and changed the box locks to match those I installed in the towers. This will be a great help for family camping trips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks Great. Can you tell me what you paid pre-tax for the 1800XT ?
Retail at REI was $599.99 and I got 20% off that price during a sale.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi MarkFrank, Aubrey...

I have few questions about the Thule Atlantis 1800XT if you don't mind.
1] what is the weight of 1800XT?
2] how much load it can carry? load limit?
3] is the factory installed crossbar will be ok and will fit in the 1800XT? of should I consider yakima or thule crossbars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. 47 pounds. I can lift the box onto the roof by myself.
2. 110 pounds.
3. Unknown on the factory crossbars. If they can adjust fore/aft sufficiently, maybe. They will be lower, so it may be a bit more dificult to get the aft end of the box to clear the rear-hatch spoiler.

As MarkFrank stated, the Yakima box, which is nice as well, is longer than the Thule for the same capacity, so fit will be less likely with the 18-cubic-foot size. I like the idea of buying from an American company like Yakima when all else is equal, and REI had the Yak boxes on sale, but I was afraid it would not fit.

We're getting some mild whistling with the Thule Aero bars installed, even without the box, and have ordered a Thule fairing. It's nothing extreme, but the Highlander is so quiet, it would be a shame to spoil that, and I don't want to have to take the bars on and off.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Highlander 163000 miles
65 Posts
In case anyone is interested, I have the 16 cubic ft. Yakima Skybox and it fits fine with my Highlander Sport. I have it mounted on Thule cross bars.

1. 47 pounds. I can lift the box onto the roof by myself.
2. 110 pounds.
3. Unknown on the factory crossbars. If they can adjust fore/aft sufficiently, maybe. They will be lower, so it may be a bit more dificult to get the aft end of the box to clear the rear-hatch spoiler.

As MarkFrank stated, the Yakima box, which is nice as well, is longer than the Thule for the same capacity, so fit will be less likely with the 18-cubic-foot size. I like the idea of buying from an American company like Yakima when all else is equal, and REI had the Yak boxes on sale, but I was afraid it would not fit.

We're getting some mild whistling with the Thule Aero bars installed, even without the box, and have ordered a Thule fairing. It's nothing extreme, but the Highlander is so quiet, it would be a shame to spoil that, and I don't want to have to take the bars on and off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did consider the Yakima box & wanted to stay with Yakima since I have Yak bars, locks, bike mounts etc. I used to have a Thule set up 15+ years ago & they were crap so I've been a Yak fan ever since. The one thing that sold me on the Thule vs the Yak box for the 1800 size is the Thule box is shorter by 6" or more. I didn't want the box to hang over the front bar any more than it does with the Thule.

I have mine mounted closer towards the pass side so I can add a bike mount on the drivers side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
curious if anyone purchased the 1800 and used the factory bars. did anyone try? and why not?

Aubrey: did you ever get the fairing, was curious if it hushed the whistle from bars........and how many cylinder locks did you need? six? one for each foot and two for box?

grez

·
Registered
1 Posts
1800 with factory bars

I just purchased the Atlantis 1800 and mounted on my 08 Higlander Sport's factory crossrails. I slid the crossrails and box as far forward as they could go, but the hatchback still hits. I whacked my head 3 times on our vacation, so am considering returning it (if possible). If I can't return, I guess I can get some non-factory bars, but that isn't ideal. I should have done my homework and got the 1600.

curious if anyone purchased the 1800 and used the factory bars. did anyone try? and why not?

Aubrey: did you ever get the fairing, was curious if it hushed the whistle from bars........and how many cylinder locks did you need? six? one for each foot and two for box?

grez

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Thule Atlantis 1800 fits also

Yes, purchased the same rig last month for my 4runner (HumblePower ~$530 delivered). The fit with about 1 1/2" of room to spare and no corrections were needed. My X-Country skis fit in the 1800, so I am excited about that... Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.