Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 87 GT-S has that annoying ticking noise coming from the engine. It isn't super loud, but I can hear it at idle from inside the car. Sticky Lifter? How long til the noise becomes a serious enough problem to seriously damage my engine? The engine was rebuilt in 2004, and the previous owner drove it less than 10,000k til i bought it. So it sat a lot the last couple of years. I have read countless things online about sticky lifters and a million people with a million different things to add to my oil. If these treatments are just going to mask the problem and I am going to throw a rod or something I would rather know and fix the problem. Any help would be great!

Thanks A Lot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! One of these days I'll remember to get some pics of her and put'm up here. She looks great on the outside. The inside needs a very good cleaning and the gear shift looks like crap. Still trying to find a somewhat affordable short throw that will fit in her. Every place I look says they have them, then in their inventory they don't show any. I figure since the one in the car is so dinged up and the boot is beyond worn that i may as well eliminate the shifter that is taller than me :)

·
Toyota User
95 Camry Wagon
186 Posts
I bought a 91 Camry with a tick noise on a 196,000 mile motor for $450...
Ran it out of oil a few times (bad leak from the valve cover gasket), bad radiator that I drove on for about 15,000 miles before replacing. Mistreated the car for pretty much the entire time I owned it, waiting for the day it would blow up. The ticking noise never changed, though.

Finally fixed all problems except the ticking and sold it with the ticking noise. It ran smoothly and I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of the best cars I've ever owned. Never figured out what it was, but it never gave me an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts