Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I designed and made some cool tie downs for the front bottom of the bed. I used the existing bolts that hold the bed on the frame. I slotted the mounting brackets so all I had to do was loosen the bolts, slide the tie down bracket under the big washer, and retighten the bolt back down. Looks awesome - looks better than the stock D-rings that comes with the Tacomas and work like a charm. If anyone want to see what it looks like, holler and I'll take a pic and post it. Yep, no more wondering how to secure the load in the bed anymore.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Woo Hoo.
I'll get to put some d rings in BEFORE my cleats break.

Pics would be great.

·
Registered
378 Posts
BrandonM7 said:
They did, they're available at your dealer. It's just lame that they're an accessory instead of standard equipment.
Does anyone have a part # for the front d rings?

Or was a write up for this post ever created?

·
Toy Machine
282 Posts
ponq said:
Does anyone have a part # for the front d rings?

Or was a write up for this post ever created?
I just put a set of the factory D-rings in my truck.

You can get the D-ring "kit" from http://www.trdparts4u.com/ for $18.40 (part# PT785-35054)

This "kit" includes the D-rings, bolts, and backing plates. It is meant to bolt into the front corner of the bed, on the side wall, after you drill in it. The rear D-rings are available outside of a "kit", but the dealer quoted me ~$30 each for them.

I didn't like the idea of mounting the rings in the wall of the composite bed, so I put them under the front bed bolts, in a manner that is similar to the rear.

Here's how:
1. Use a #55 Torx bit ($5 at your local auto parts store) and large ratchet or breaker bar to remove the front bed bolts (they seem to unscrew forever, because they are very long).
2. Carefully cut or grind the large washer off of the bed bolts.
3. Pop the plastic bushing out of the center of the D-ring plate.
4. Use a file, drill, or die grinder to slightly enlarge the holes in the washers that come w/the D-ring kit, so that they slide over the factory bed bolts.
5. Put the modified washer on the bed bolt, followed by the new D-ring.
6. Put some threadlocker (like Loctite) on the threads of the bed bolt, put the bolt back into the bed, and tighten it up.
7. I mounted my D-rings so that they were on the cab side of the bed, as they won't swivel like the rears when tightened down.
Tip: Using a rubber mallet to tap the D-rings down to the bed, lifting them, and tapping down again frees them up so that they move nicely.

Technically, you don't have to remove the large washers from the bed bolts, but I did not like the way that they rode on the D-ring plate when tight and still on the bed bolts.

--Eric

·
Old TN User
'05 Tacoma DC SR5
528 Posts
I didn't grind mine. Just turn the bolt upside down in a vise or something. Put it so the washer is supported but the bolt head is not. Just pound the bolt down through the washer. There are ridges on the bolt that will shear off. This allows the washer from the D-ring kit to just drop on without modification. The end of the bolt is tapered so beating on it does not mess up the threads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone know the proper torque requirement for the bed bolts??? I just did the D-ring add-on today, came out great. I just don't want to over-tighten or under-tighten the bolts.........I know I needed a breaker bar just to get the suckers off, so I assume they were put on at the factory with some serious torque. What did everyone else do???

·
Old TN User
'05 Tacoma DC SR5
528 Posts
ninja727 said:
Does anyone know the proper torque requirement for the bed bolts??? I just did the D-ring add-on today, came out great. I just don't want to over-tighten or under-tighten the bolts.........I know I needed a breaker bar just to get the suckers off, so I assume they were put on at the factory with some serious torque. What did everyone else do???
I had read about people saying they were real tight so I used a 24" breaker bar, braced my feet and gave a yank. I almost flew out the end of the box, :) they weren't as tight as I had been led to believe. 80 lbs. should be plenty tight. Put some loctite on the threads if you're worried.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.