Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away from snow for mostly 40 years. Where I now live, I NEED (icy/steep road) chains or cables for about a mile
from home.
I cheaped out and bought some Peerless snow cables for $6 at the thrift store.
Today I practiced installing them, wrote out instructions for myself.

Peerless recommends AGAINST any kind of tighteners for snow CABLES.
They do not say why.
Third line of pdf:
https://www.peerlesschain.com/wp-content/uploads/Traction_Cable_Ins.pdf

Googling, I cannot find much of anything on snow cables, nothing on tighteners.
Peerless DOES recommend tighteners for their snow chains.

Why might tighteners for cables be not recommended?
Thank you.

·
6,464 Posts
Cuz cables will tear. Chains are chains.
And it does not really matter, to be honest. Point for both chains and cables is to create high grip path UNDER the tire. As far as it stays on the tire more or less, you are fine. Basically, it's same principle as tractor track. Also, one less item to mess with during install and removal.
Get cheap steel rims from some junk yard and have snow tires installed. Simply mount them on for snow period. I'd hate to bother with chains every time I have to take on that mile. F that. Same junk yard tire places have winter tires for peanuts. Just grab them NOW, before season and demand jags price up.

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you. Instructions say to check the cables a time or two after a little driving. I can see why you would suggest snow tires. If I expected to have to install the cables many more than three times this entire winter, I would probably do exactly that. But I have simple practical reasons--storage space, mostly--to avoid a second set of rims/tires. Again, thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts