Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post on here where someone mentioned a sequence for tightening the transmission pan. Ive looked all through my FSC manual for this and cant find a thing. Working on a 2007 2.4 AWD with a U241E tranny. Anyone know?

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
Right, basically you start from the middle of the "rectangle" of a pan and work toward the ends.

I typically lightly seat the bolts up by hand first (taking it to about 20 inch pounds). Then two rounds with a 1/4" inch pound torque wrench. Say to 40 inch pounds on the first round. I don't go by the FSM spec, which IMO are low, but like to take them up to about 7 lb/ft or 84 inch pounds.

Here's is a GM 6L80 sequence, you'll get the idea (GM specs 80 inch pounds):

Also, at 4:20 you'll see the sequence for the ZF 6HP transmission. ZFs, IMO, are the gold standard in automatic transmissions. ZF bolts are usually longer, and they spec 10 Nm, or about 89 inch pounds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,175 Posts
Probably would be a good idea since the pan is thin and will de-form pretty easily and the bolts are known to shear.
Most Auto Parts stores will loan them out.

·
Registered
2007 Highlander Sport 4wd 3.3 V6
236 Posts
I saw a post on here where someone mentioned a sequence for tightening the transmission pan. Ive looked all through my FSC manual for this and cant find a thing. Working on a 2007 2.4 AWD with a U241E tranny. Anyone know?
Per the service manual. No specific sequence is required. However, it does seems to specify using seal packing (RTV) on the bolt heads as well as thread locker on the threads; unless Toyota use seal packing as a generic term for any sealant or adhesive.

I would just use a criss cross pattern starting from the inside working outward.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Parallel

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
I'm sure many members use their calibrated elbows. If you're careful that's ok too. But I got a 1/4" inch pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight for $9.99 before inflation kicked in, so I just use it. It's plain basic but it works, and can't beat the price. I don't see those $9.99 prices for all three sizes (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) any more. :(

BTW, see if Autozone has one on free loaner.

Amazon is running 30% off coupon on Lexvons (tightening direction only), so the 1/4" is $23.08 after discount:

And Craftsman 3/8 and 1/2 (bi-directional) are on sale too for $49.99 each:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drained the pan and changed the filter with a wix kit. For 160k I was pleased to see very little material on the magnets and not really any non ferrous debris in the pan. Replaced about 4.4 qts of t-iv fluid.

I can attest that those several pan bolts by the frame are a pain- even with the engine mounts loosened and raising the tranny. You can't really get a good torque reading on those using a universal socket connector so you have to be conservative.

Automotive tire Water Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
How does it shift?

Good to hear that the filter was changed as well. the upper magnet is showing a little of the urchin look, so it's good that you replace the filter and change the fluid.

In the future you can consider a fully synthetic T-IV fluid, such as Ravenol T-IV, which is more specific. Or as many members used, Valvoline Maxlife ATF that's suitable for T-IV and WS, which is multi-vehicle as of WS type of lower viscosity and $21/gallon at Walmart.

The conventional T-IV should be drained and refilled on a 15K severe service or 30K normal service intervals, IMO.

Bad news urchin look:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts