Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing new leaf springs into my Hilux over the weekend and the factory workshop manual says that the u bolts should be torqued up to about 90 ft-lb (123 Nm).

Im having trouble getting it to torque up to 90 ft-lb, as soon as it gets to about 60ft-lb, the u bolts start to split (see pic).
Any ideas? The torque wrench Im using is fine. U bolts are new ones I got with my suspension kit.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
Hmmm...the only thing I can think of is that the new ones are of a softer steel, probably mild steel, and the factory ones are heat treated steel alloy of some sort. Just my 2 cents though...

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are using a click type torque wrench, check the calibration. Also you should get a copy of The Pocket Reference and keep it in your tool box. Whenever I have something like this happen, I check the reference to see if the printed specs for the bolt are wrong. I have found several instances over the years where they were.

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
those bolts are over torqued that is the only thing that will make them spread like that. i would make sure the torque wrench is right.try using a beam type wrench if you can get one.

·
yota bomber
815 Posts
if your using a deep socket to compensate for the ubolts lenght , that might just be your problem. take an angle grinder and chop it off so you are able to use a shallow socket on the bolt, this will help with your angle and whatnot. have fun tightening and just for reference. 90 ft.lbs. is a whole hell of a effin lot of pressure. you shouldn't need that much .:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts