Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so im going to be upgrading my system over the nex couple of months and wanted to get some TN input.

This is what i got:
-Kenwood KVT-911DVD headunit
-Kenwood 600W Amp
-2 Infinity 12" reference subs
-MTX Thunder 404 amp
-2 Infinity 3-way 6x9's
-2 Infinity 61/2" components with 1" dome tweeters

I'm definitly upgrading to the 915DVD headunit, thanks to some inside connections at kenwood.
and i would like to upgrade the amp and subs, what brands are you guys thinkin? should i get a cap? new batt? any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Upgrade your big three. Then your alt and then your battery in that order before getting a cap. Before upgrading your subs you may want to upgrade your components. Do you have the Reference, Kappas or Perfects?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
I would stick with Kenwood if your happy with it... I've also heard from my sources in Oz that the new dB+ series amps and subs will beat the crap out of just about anythin... but then they work for Kenwood (Even tho i am a devout Kenwood fan... im still a sceptic), but then its all about personal choice.. Just do some shoppinmg and u cant go wrong...

I also agree with JayJay about the alt and bat.. they will pull too much juice otherwise...

Remeber tho -- if they dont let you hear it its not worth buying.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
thespud said:
I've also heard from my sources in Oz that the new dB+ series amps and subs will beat the crap out of just about anythin...
Thats a good one :lol:

I would first start out by upgrading your fronts with a nice set of components, what kind of budget are we looking at here, I can give some suggestions. Determine if you want a metal or silk tweeter for starters. Second dump the 6x9 unless you like rear fill, totally messes up the imaging. Third get a matching MTX amp for your subs, nothing less than 500watts, are your subs in a proper enclosure? that can make a huge difference on how well your subs will perform, dont buy premade unless its to spec for those references. I am not familiar with that deck, what is the prevolt output on it? If its at least 4V, if it does, then that deck should work just fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. first off this may seem like a dumb question but what exactly do you mean by big three? second i got the reference series and actually the 6x9's dont sound that bad, if i do replace the oval rith rounds, how much customizing would that require?
i heard the new kenwood subs at a sound shop and they blow away almost everything else they had there, and at almost a grand each i would expect no less

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. Get a secondary battery and run an isolator switch.
2. what is ur price range and what size subs
(I'd recommend running two kicker compvr 12's with a 500.2 kicker amp, 1 farad cap with digital top from stinger and apretty heafty wiring kit, at least 8gauge but 4 gauge is the way to go!)
but before you do all that check your alternator for amperage and voltage see if its running at what it supposed to, but ur probally going to want to upgrade it anyways like to 150 amps at 12 volts.
Dont waste money on the kenwood when you can get the pioneer premier! with dvd navigation......:thumbup:
3. make sure you have a pro put it in THEY KNOW HOW TO TWEAK THE HELL OUT OF A SYSTEM!!!!!:cool:

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
TRDSPEC1 said:
1. Get a secondary battery and run an isolator switch.
2. what is ur price range and what size subs
(I'd recommend running two kicker compvr 12's with a 500.2 kicker amp, 1 farad cap with digital top from stinger and apretty heafty wiring kit, at least 8gauge but 4 gauge is the way to go!)
but before you do all that check your alternator for amperage and voltage see if its running at what it supposed to, but ur probally going to want to upgrade it anyways like to 150 amps at 12 volts.
Dont waste money on the kenwood when you can get the pioneer premier! with dvd navigation......:thumbup:
3. make sure you have a pro put it in THEY KNOW HOW TO TWEAK THE HELL OUT OF A SYSTEM!!!!!:cool:
Second battery is not needed, dont waste your money. Same with the cap. Where do you find a pro, at a stereo shop? :lol: I dont think so.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
IronchefChicago said:
thanks for the replies. first off this may seem like a dumb question but what exactly do you mean by big three? second i got the reference series and actually the 6x9's dont sound that bad, if i do replace the oval rith rounds, how much customizing would that require?
i heard the new kenwood subs at a sound shop and they blow away almost everything else they had there, and at almost a grand each i would expect no less
Big 3 is basically upgrading your ground and power wire under your hood to allow more current to flow to your amps. You ground your amps to your chassis with like a 4awg wire, but the gauge from the chassis to your battery is some little pathetic piece of wire, so you upgrade it (usually the same size), same thing with the alt to battery wire, I usually just add an additional one, and last you need to upgrade the ground for the alt which is mounted to the engine, so you upgrade the engine to chassis wire. I pasted a link on how to do this on one of these topics, do a search if you need more help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts