Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's time i upgrade/rebuild the turbo! Anyone have any suggestions on what I should upgrade to? Keep in mind I want to upgrade the stock turbo!

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
If you wanna keep stock... I'd say the ATS CT27 or a good 'ol CT20B. Other than that you will pretty much get NO performance gain. Unless you are running a USDM CT26... then you could get a JDM CT26 and have a little quicker spool.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've been thinking about upgrading just the compressor wheel to a 46 trim or a 60 trim with upgrade to turbine...

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
You won't get any gains... everyone that does that just comes out disappointed. If you are looking for more power it's not the best way to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an upgraded JDM CT26 Turbo built for me from Greddy Race Garage in Japan. I am very happy with the performance. The Turbo spools up alot quicker and you notice a huge power gain. Its a ct27 like tho ones from ATS.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
If you upgrade the wheel of a JDM CT26 and upgrade the wheel of a USDM CT26 there will be no difference except that at one point the jdm one sucked in Japanesse air... and thats gonna count for something :p:

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
91 turbo said:
I have an upgraded JDM CT26 Turbo built for me from Greddy Race Garage in Japan. I am very happy with the performance. The Turbo spools up alot quicker and you notice a huge power gain. Its a ct27 like tho ones from ATS.
u should come out to one of the local meets next spring/summer....i'll take u for a ride in my car and u can compare how much of a difference a bigger turbo makes....i used to think that my car was pretty fast with the ct-26 (with vpc and running 16 psi) until i did the swap.....

·
Boooost
159 Posts
wanna take me for a spin mrq???;) ...im planning on upgrading my turbo as well for next summer but still haven't decided on which one to choose yet...power goal that i want is close to 300 atleast....

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
so the concensus is that upgrading the ct26 is worthless?
Even when swapping the trim?

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
trebor_9513 said:
so the concensus is that upgrading the ct26 is worthless?
Unless you are an avid autocrosser and/or you have to have the OEM primary cat for emmissions reasons ... or you just happen to like low end torque that runs out compared to big top end power.

Personally, I feel the point of having a turbo is bigger top end power. If I wanted it down low I would have an NA. :)

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
personally, I thought that for starting a turbo project and having little money the ct26 would be kinda like a good starting point. I could have sworn I heard that the ct26 can be upgraded to a ct20b?

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
The CT20B is a different turbo altogether ... trebor_9513
... was refering to clipping and.or changing the trim of the CT26.

The CT20B is a nice mid-range, affordable turbo that can retain the OEM primary cat.

The CT26 will get you to a good 230-240 RWHP ... the CT20B can get you to 280RWHP or so.

A good T3/T4, TD06 or smaller GT Turbo will get you in the 300-400 RWHP.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
The CT20B is a different turbo altogether ... trebor_9513
... was refering to clipping and.or changing the trim of the CT26.
sorry.

But thanks for stopping ignorance there.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
The CT20B is a nice mid-range, affordable turbo that can retain the OEM primary cat.

The CT26 will get you to a good 230-240 RWHP ... the CT20B can get you to 280RWHP or so.

A good T3/T4, TD06 or smaller GT Turbo will get you in the 300-400 RWHP.
The other question,

I personally have replaced the oem cat and put on a Hi-flow cat. What possible gains through the free flowing air and less restrictions will one see through the switch?

I ask this since I won't experience the change since I am building the turbo setup after the cat switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts