Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Drive it like a race car
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used EBC Green Stuff brake pads? I just got some new rotors, Brembo Cross Drilled, I need some new pads with those as well. I am looking at EBC, people tell me they are great.

If you don't know anything about these pads, please no comment. But if you do, spill your guts.

Thanx.:thumbup:

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I had a set they wore out in 4k miles. Then switched to akebono pro-act ceramics, I got about 35k on them and they are halfway worn. Not as much bite but almost just as good. I've heard alot of bad things about the ebc's and alot of good things about the porterfield r4s, hawk pads. My akebono's don't have too much brake dust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had some ebc green stuff on my teg with brand new brembo rotors, killed the pads(15% lefted) n rotors(warpped) in 6 month :(

i wouldn't recommend to anyone else...

·
Current title:
253 Posts
definately not ebc they wear fast try the akebono i've heard good things about them as well if not theres nothing wrong with stock pads..in our heavy ass cars and 2 pot front 1 pot rear caliper setup ur not gonna trim off that many feet to make a difference

**edit dont forget to bleed the brakes and PUMP THE PEDAL BEFORE DRIVING

·
Registered
50 Posts
97' V6 LE

Brembo Sport Slotted Rotors/ Akebono ProAct Ceramic Pads

-I Have Many Trouble Free Miles With This Combo

- No Warped Rotors,Good Pad Life

- Minimal Brake Dust

EBC Green Stuff Pads- Wont Last Long..

A Friend Tried The Green Stuff Pads On His Stock V6 Camry =Warped Front Rotors

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I wouldn't use them. I'll never use them ever ever again. I went through TWO sets of those pads in under 5,000 miles. The first set I got 2,000 miles out of and they RUINED my Brembo slotted rotors. The second set was on a black rotor and still only got 3,000 miles out of them.
Since then I get the same stopping power out of Hawk HPS pads, and yet I still have atleast 75% of their life left 6,000 miles later.
EBC pads suck...

Brembo slotted rotors all the way around, Hawk HPS up front, Akebono ProAct pads on the back. An under-rated DOT 4, or a descent DOT 5.1 brake fluid.
^ That's the best combo you're going to get without getting bigger brakes.

Don't get drilled rotors, they're inferor in breaking because of less mass, and they're highly proned to cracking and warping. They're just a stupid "Hey this looks cool" product that stopped having a function with the introduction of semi-metalic pads PRE 1980.
Blank rotors stop the fastest
Slotted rotors are for track ONLY use. (If I can't melt my pad surface on blank rotors to where slotted rotors would be benifitial, there is no way in hell anyone else is going to...)

Just buy a blank set of Brembo replacement rotors...

·
Registered
663 Posts
trdcamry2003 said:
I had a set they wore out in 4k miles. Then switched to akebono pro-act ceramics, I got about 35k on them and they are halfway worn. Not as much bite but almost just as good. I've heard alot of bad things about the ebc's and alot of good things about the porterfield r4s, hawk pads. My akebono's don't have too much brake dust.
Agreed completely. I had EBC greens, they wore out in 6k miles. I have akebono now and in 6k miles I can not even tell they are worn at all. The akebono seem to brake better as well.

I also used Axxis Metal masters and had great luck with those, the only reason I switched was my wife didn't like the ice cold braking of the metal masters. They had to heat up before they would really grab, very odd sensation to drive for the first ten minutes on a cold winter day :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had the EBCs on mine, they lasted about 26K on my car. But, mine's a manual and I'm pretty easy on the brakes, so that could explain the high mileage that I was able to get out of these pads. One note, though, the driver's side wore much faster than the passenger's side. My EBCs did seem to leave a lot of dust, as well. It's pretty bad when the dust goes through my steel wheels and coats the wheel covers. Braking performance was good, though.

I just replaced my pads with a set of Hawk HPS pads. They're a little more than half the cost of the EBCs and seem to perform just as well. That's the way I would go if I were you...

HTH -

DJ

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had EBC Green Stuffs for about 1300 miles, and so far they're getting to be real noisy. I haven't looked at them, yet, but it sounds as if I've reached that metal piece of the pad that hits the rotor when you've wore the pads down. Either that or my new Brembos are going. :( When I'm stopped at lights it sort of feels like my rotors are getting (or are) warped because of slight vibration I feel from the pedal. I wonder, what's the proper way to bed new pads in? That could have been my problem because my older brother told me I ride my brakes weirdly.

·
Ferocious Teddy Bear
674 Posts
My 2 cents: (not that anyone ever listens to me :eek: ) The EBC compound used to make them lower dust, has a bad time with losing the heat it gained from braking. We have found that they are more likely to warp a rotor than almost any other bad on the market. I try to tell everyone i know about Performance Friction pads, they are proven to last and are a no fade pad. Alot of the guys that auto cross swear by these pads, and i do too, i will never use a different set, and even though i sell this brand, i buy them from autozone to get a life time warranty, cant beat that. Well thats all folks, im sure you will get the pad that suits u best. Good luck and happy driving!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts