Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
05 Tacoma DC
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys.. time to chime in.. 32 complaints out of almost 400,000 happy Tacoma owners and this guy wants to file more lawsuits against Toyota. How many out there think this guy is full of it or just doesn't understand how the truck works?

To be "fair" there have been a few on the forums that have said when the A/C comes on if you don't have your foot firmly on the brake that your truck may "lurch" forward a bit. Easily corrected... put the foot on the brake.

Anyway.. read the story in the link and chime in.

http://www.kcra.com/news/15433689/detail.html

· Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
279 Posts
Sounds like someone that probably rear-ended someone and it trying to find a scape goat now.

What really pisses me off is how many people own vehicles they dislike. You have two choices, get rid of the vehicle and the perceived headaches and get something you want. Or, keep it, flog to everyone you know about how you hate it yet continue to drive it. It seems to be the choice is obvious, but to those that love the attention, spending far to much time, energy and money on 'prooving' their point, it seems all logical thought it lost.

To anyone that complains about owning something they don't want, I say 'deal with it' and don't bother anyone with your issues because I have an easy solution for you.

· Man in Blue.
923 Posts
The guy sounds like a douche bag. "Nobody is happy with their cars." No dude, 32 people aren't happy. Out of 365,000 people 32 is is NOT the majority.

I think Dcaplan is right. This guy rear ended someone and now wants it to be Toyota's fault because he can't be bothered to keep his foot on the brake.

On a side note, is this a symptom of just the auto's? I'd assume so as when you have the clutch pedal pushed in the tranny is effectively disengaged from the drive shaft.

· Registered
05 Tacoma DC
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The origional video of the story is on YouTube... note.. this guy drives a stick. Put your foot on the clutch or put it in neutral at a stop... geeze.

· Registered
'05 Taco & '07 RAV4
44 Posts
If that's the case,

"Lurch problem" = ID-10-T Error on top of driver's side seat.
Solution... swap out whatever is on top of driver's seat when this happens for a new one.:naughty:

· Man in Blue.
923 Posts
If that's the case,

"Lurch problem" = ID-10-T Error on top of driver's side seat.
Solution... swap out whatever is on top of driver's seat when this happens for a new one.:naughty:
The ID10T error is what is displayed on the odometer. The condition is known as PEBKAC. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. On in this case the keyboard is the steering wheel.

· Outermost Taco
07 Tacoma DCab TRD
26 Posts
I noticed something interesting the other day that caused my Taco to "lurch" or I guess you could call it "acceler-braking." The engine was trying to accelerate while I was trying to brake - and I figured out why. Basically because I am a dumbass.

Seriously though, I noticed that the brake and accelerator are a bit closer together than they were on my Tundra - and that when I wear my work boots (steel toe) a little bit of the tread can touch the accelerator while I have my foot on the brake at the same time - and since the throttle is so responsive, it makes the truck want to move. Since they are steel toe boots, with thick tread, I didn't feel that I was touching both at the same time.

Now that I know that, I just am extra careful when driving in my boots. Or maybe I should have sued the boot manufacturer for not putting warning labels on the treads.

· Registered
'07 DoubleCab 4x4
731 Posts
I noticed something interesting the other day that caused my Taco to "lurch" or I guess you could call it "acceler-braking." The engine was trying to accelerate while I was trying to brake - and I figured out why. Basically because I am a dumbass.

Seriously though, I noticed that the brake and accelerator are a bit closer together than they were on my Tundra - and that when I wear my work boots (steel toe) a little bit of the tread can touch the accelerator while I have my foot on the brake at the same time - and since the throttle is so responsive, it makes the truck want to move. Since they are steel toe boots, with thick tread, I didn't feel that I was touching both at the same time.

Now that I know that, I just am extra careful when driving in my boots. Or maybe I should have sued the boot manufacturer for not putting warning labels on the treads.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!!! Seriously though. I almost 100% sure this is what's causing the "random acceleration" on the freeway. I noticed the exact same thing. Since I'm used to double clutching my mustang, I'm usually putting my foot half on the brake and half on the gas. I just noticed that on my Taco, the gas pedal not only sits closer to the brake left/right, but also it sits closer to the driver than most gas pedals (it's almost flush with the brake pedal). Most cars (ones with a manual that I double clutch) you need to really stretch your foot to hit the gas and brake at the same time. My mustang I have to use my heal on the gas and toe on the brake. But with the taco, I can just use the two halves of my toe.

Now I know this doesn't have anything to do with the lurch, but I think every auto I've ever driven would start moving forward if I didn't have the brake on. I think all this is just based on a combination of bad driving technique and lack of attention to what the driver is doing.

· Registered
766 Posts
IMHO

Lurch = soft foot on brake when AC kicks in (happened to me a few times until I started pressing a little firmer). I've also had the fat foot on both pedals scare me a touch when backing up when half awake.
Runaway Acceleration = Floormats stuck under accelerator. Pretty sure they recalled some Camry floormats for just this reason.

· Registered
2007 Prerunner AC
10 Posts
I have to agree with the guy. I just hate pulling into a dead ended parking spot, about 1 out of every 25 times my Prerunner (V6 auto, without the A/C turned on) will lurch ahead about 3 to 6 inches causing me to have to jam my brakes on harder. If I sit at idle, in park, A/C not turned on, every once in a great while I'll notice the engine speed suddenly goes up 200-300 rpm and then drops back again. I'm sure whatever this is, is what happens during my parking lurches. Dizzy control electronics for the fuel injection system, who knows? But I tell you, for some of us, this is real.

· Registered
199 Posts
Mine does it too. The first time I didn't know what was going on. But since then I expect it and just press the brake a little harder. It does it at one time, corrected by pressing the brake firmer, and then I can let up again. It's just the RPMs raising for a second. But yeah, on a manual, that's driver error.

· SWB Fo' Life
07 Xtracab 4x4
1,501 Posts
hmmm, i have a 6-speed and I either have the clutch in (rare) or neutral at stop lights. Never lurched, because I've never owned an auto car so I know how to drive stick. BUT, I have noticed that the RPM randomly spikes 300-500. It doesnt freak me out, Im in neutral, but this never happens in my wrx. And also, when I am slowing down to a light that is far away, and I cruise in neutral, the rpm never goes back to idle until I am at a complete stop, again, never happens on my wrx.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.