Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i spoke to Dale from toytec and he told me i couldnt lift my truck more than 1.5 inches, unless i change my whole front suspension.

ok... so how much do you guys think it will cost to put a prerunner 2wd suspension on my 5 lug truck?

if i cant go higher on this truck i might have to get another tacoma,

(yeah its 2wd but higher is always better to me)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Take the 2 grand you are willing to spend add it to the 4 grand you would loose trading your truck in and do a solid axel swap and convert your truck into a 4x4. For 6 grand you should be able to do it as long as you do all your own fabricating. I would like to give it a try but that would go over like a turd in the punch bowl with my wife.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that involves way too much fabrication, way more than im capable of. i am thinking the prerunner suspension should be bolt on

·
Registered
515 Posts
s3v3rth3stars said:
that involves way too much fabrication, way more than im capable of. i am thinking the prerunner suspension should be bolt on
No it won't just bolt on. The strut pockets that are welded to the frame are different. The lower a-arm mounts are different. The upper a-arm actually goes through the strut pocket. You would need to buy the front frame clip from the cab forward off a wrecked truck and cut your frame off and install the prerunner front clip. If you could do this then you should be able to do the solid axle swap.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
dude- cut your losses and get a prerunner...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if its like that... then looks like im gonna have to save my money for a down payment instead.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you own metal fabrication equipment? Do have experience welding, using a plasma cutter, etc? Do you have access to another mode of transportation for the weeks it would take you to do the job correctly?
You could torch off all of the existing suspension components and grind those areas smooth and start from scratch. It would be awesome to find an early 80's Toyota SFA, transfer case, driveshaft, and leaf springs from a local salvage yard and fit them to your truck. You would have a very unique vehicle that would set you apart from the others. The rear would be the easy part, the front end would be the challenge.
My suggestion? Cut your losses and find a leftover 2006 2WD standard cab PreRunner at a killer price. Do you really need a 4WD in southern Florida? Throw on a set of nice alloy wheels and drive the heck out of it. I think they start around $15K.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The 5 lug trucks track width is roughly around 63 inches WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface). The 80's toyotas I am sure are not even close to this. I think a good canidate would be a set of Dana 44's out of a new Jeep rubicon with the front and rear air lockers. The Jeep axles are around 60 inches WMS to WMS. I have got to quit talking about this before I talk myself into stripping my truck.:lol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good point. I almost forgot the 2005.5 Tacomas are now "midsized". The Wrangler drivetrain would be an excellent choice and should be very close to the correct width on the current Tacoma chassis. I would LOVE to see someone take a strippo 2WD base Taco and fabricate a 4WD SFA drivetrain underneath it with a nice wheel and tire combo.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
naw i think i have almost set my sights 100% on a <2004 dbl cab prerunner, i test drove one last night and i really liked the damn thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
s3v3rth3stars said:
naw i think i have almost set my sights 100% on a <2004 dbl cab prerunner, i test drove one last night and i really liked the damn thing.
You are making a smart move! I am surprised at how well the 2001-2004 Double Cab's are holding their resale value. Usually $18K and up for a 4 cylinder model.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks man, i really hate to let this truck go but it just isnt what i want and need anymore. thanks for the encouragement. and yeah the 04's ive looked at are all within the 18-20k range.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Droppedmytaco said:
The 5 lug trucks track width is roughly around 63 inches WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface). The 80's toyotas I am sure are not even close to this. I think a good canidate would be a set of Dana 44's out of a new Jeep rubicon with the front and rear air lockers. The Jeep axles are around 60 inches WMS to WMS. I have got to quit talking about this before I talk myself into stripping my truck.:lol:
Diamond axles, and hi-pinion front/8 (8.5"?) rear, elockers, dual marlin cases...:drool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
dude why go with a 04 for almost 20k when you could get brand new one for just a few grand more?? IMO save a few grand and get a new one, you will regret it if you don't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts