Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '90 4WD 5-speed with 140,000 miles. It accelerates fine in 1st and 2nd. But I get a little slip in the clutch in 3rd when accelerating hard, and A LOT of slippage when accelerating hard in 4th and 5th. This happens when I've taken my foot completely off of the clutch pedal. The pedal appears to travel all the way back up off of the floor as well. I can accelerate gently without any slippage. Any suggestions on what the problem could be and the steps I should take to diagnose this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
For the cost replace the flywheel its only a few dollars more. second check the slave master cylinder for leaks and also the cluthc master cylinder as well. Just because you don't see any fluid on the firewall from the engine compartment does not mean that it can't possibly be leaking into the cab. Also make sure to not overtorque the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. The flywheel is made of a soft metal and can chip crack and even strip threads. Personal experience as a warning. If you are going to attempt the job yourself it is possible to do with a couple of floor jacks in your garage in about 4 -6 hours.

·
Registered
406 Posts
yea, i think it may need a clutch. my 92 has 164,000 now, and the previous owner replaced the clutch in it at about 135-140,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice folks. I'll check the cylinders and all around for leaks. But based on consensus it looks like I'm replacing my clutch. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts