Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lease is up soon, so I am debating on my next vehicle. Looking at the Tacoma Double Cabs, probably the short box since the wheel base gets long with the 6' box. With my current Tacoma, the 6' box gets the job done with regards to the weekend trips to pick up building materials for the random projects I have going on. My concern lies with trying to haul 4x8 sheet products, such as OSB or sheet rock. For one, the 5' box really seems like it might be a burden to fit the 4x8's in, where as I currently will leave the tail gate closed or just tilt and slide the sheets in. Second, I wonder about the weight, with most of the weight behind the rear axle. I know with my short wheel base on my truck, it doesn't take much weight in the bed to lift the front end up.

So, any of the double cab owners...can you chime in your experience here?

Also, has Toyota finally beefed up the rear suspension? I added the rubber shocks (forget name of them now) to mine shortly after the lease started....they have worked great.

Oh, and test drove a few T trucks today. Definitely like the 6-sp manual with the V6, the auto still seems too slugish IMO. Also took out a Tundra 5.7L....holy crap. That' a big truck, with a big engine, and big brakes. Very nice, but just too much truck for me to drive around as a daily driver. I like the nimble drive of the Tacoma instead. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you have reservations about the short bed, then I'd say you should at least give the long bed consideration. I don't need the extra length very often but sure am glad I have it when I do.

The long wheelbase really isn't a problem, except that the truck has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

·
Say "NO" to low and slow
'10 Tacoma TRD Sport
53 Posts
I definitely like my long bed and obviously have no trouble with large items in the back. Silversport above me is correct, it takes a small army to get the truck turned around, so much so that my newbie wife decided to scrape the side of my truck at the gas pump on day 2.

Wish I could comment on the short bed but I really wanted the long bed for ride comfort. I offroad some but not enough to make me choose the short bed when I purchased.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
There are indentions in the bed sides. Place a couple 2x4's at front and back of bed. Your osb can be placed on top above the wheel wells. Eight foot sheets will extend past the tailgate but you can rachet strap them into place.

·
Lurker
2010 Taco DCab TRD
12 Posts
Dark Taco is right. I have hauled 4'x8" sheets many times with zero problems. Plus I can pull a u turn almost anywhere and can paralel park with ease downtown. I also have a small utility trailer if I need to haul to big of stuff which Ive only used to go to dump.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dark Taco is right. I have hauled 4'x8" sheets many times with zero problems. Plus I can pull a u turn almost anywhere and can paralel park with ease downtown. I also have a small utility trailer if I need to haul to big of stuff which Ive only used to go to dump.
Thanks for the input guys.

Can anyone explain if there is a difference in suspension between the two TRD packages? (sport and off road)

Also see that the trucks still have the crappy Dunlops on them. Turn-in and handling improved so much when I got rid of those and installed the Firestone Destination tires.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I went from a 7 ft to a 6ft to a 5ft bed. I still manage to fit everything in the shortie including 12 ft Kayaks and my motorcycle, just takes a little planning. Also build a solid bed extender for 6 1/2 ft. The leafs in the new models have not been changed that I'm aware of.

As for tranny, thats been discussed to death, but since you a drive a stick now in a rather busy area, sounds like you can manage. Note if your on the interstates alot, over 70 your mpg plummets in the 6spd, so you'll never get a speeding ticket on the interstate:lol:.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

Can anyone explain if there is a difference in suspension between the two TRD packages? (sport and off road)

Also see that the trucks still have the crappy Dunlops on them. Turn-in and handling improved so much when I got rid of those and installed the Firestone Destination tires.
The difference in the TRD sport and off road has to do with the valving of the shocks. One has Bilstein shocks that are tuned or valved for street while the other is valved for off road. Not surprising that the Firestone tires are better since most all OE tires are simply throw away tires. I think they find tires that are light and cheap to keep costs down provide the best MPG possible for advertising.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have 2007 DC, 6-speed, the short bed, love the truck, its only 6 inches shorter then the longbed, never had any issues hauling anything except a 15ft canoe..even the long bed is to short for that
You'll like the manual tranny,,loads of power, I agree the auto is somewhat sluggish...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went from a 7 ft to a 6ft to a 5ft bed. I still manage to fit everything in the shortie including 12 ft Kayaks and my motorcycle, just takes a little planning. Also build a solid bed extender for 6 1/2 ft. The leafs in the new models have not been changed that I'm aware of.

As for tranny, thats been discussed to death, but since you a drive a stick now in a rather busy area, sounds like you can manage. Note if your on the interstates alot, over 70 your mpg plummets in the 6spd, so you'll never get a speeding ticket on the interstate:lol:.
I would say over 70 your mpg plummets no matter what transmission:lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The difference in the TRD sport and off road has to do with the valving of the shocks. One has Bilstein shocks that are tuned or valved for street while the other is valved for off road. Not surprising that the Firestone tires are better since most all OE tires are simply throw away tires. I think they find tires that are light and cheap to keep costs down provide the best MPG possible for advertising.
So, the TRD Sport is probably my best bet, since I'd prefer less body roll and better road handling.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
So, the TRD Sport is probably my best bet, since I'd prefer less body roll and better road handling.
It also has the hood scoop, color matched grille, mirrors, door handles, and bumper. I have driven both and think you will be happy with either. They are both very nice trucks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It also has the hood scoop, color matched grille, mirrors, door handles, and bumper. I have driven both and think you will be happy with either. They are both very nice trucks.
Would you say one had better road handling over the other? Is it just the valving they change, or do they put different size sway bars on them too?

I actually prefer the chrome grille, bumpers, etc....but wouldn't make a real big difference I guess. :)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Honestly, one didn't seem that much different to me than the other. Once you take a test drive you might feel the same way I did. I went with the off road because I wanted the e-locker. Keep in mind that the 09+ sports do not have a mechanical LSD anymore. If that matters to you. It's all electronic and brake controlled or something like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts