Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I have an 87 Tercel FWD wagon with a 3A-C series. 1.5L 8 valve SOHC, and need to adjust the timing on it, now for the big stupid question, how is it done?? I'm lost on imports, I know how to do a v8, but I don't see a lock down nut/bolt on the distrib like a v8, and the distrib is sideways.

I would think that the fundimentals would be the same, slight/minor turn to advance/retard the timing, but I can't see any way to do that. Also, I can't see any timing marks near the pully wheels/belt hub, where's it located? I don't see anything close to it, could be missing, where is it mounted?

Don't have anyone to ask or show me, so I thought I'd come to the right place and ask the pros, any help would be great! If anybody needs to know something about a Pontiac, I can help ya out...lol

Thanks,
Steve:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
As you are facing the car from the front, and looking at the dist, you should see a 12mm (appx) bolt holding the distributor to the block. That is the adjusting bolt, you will need to loosen it and then turn the dist either forwards or backwards to adjust it. You do need a timing light for these, I don't know if you do for a Pontiac. :) The dust cover for the timing belt will have some numbers engraved to help you adjust the timing, the mark to adjust by should be on the pulley (covered in oil maybe?). You should swing by http://www.tercel4wd.com/ and check the forums out, the other people there are more coherent than me. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
;)
Thanks for the tips, got to it and finally of the light on it. One thing that is kinda wierd, it's hard to see any kind of timing notch on the wheel housing, the plastic cover be covering it, strange can't see one, can adjust the timing from one end to the other and still not see any notch. I guess it's time to get the degreaser in there this weekend.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
81 tercel
100 Posts
71Firebird said:
;)
Thanks for the tips, got to it and finally of the light on it. One thing that is kinda wierd, it's hard to see any kind of timing notch on the wheel housing, the plastic cover be covering it, strange can't see one, can adjust the timing from one end to the other and still not see any notch. I guess it's time to get the degreaser in there this weekend.
Thanks!!

dude i live in washingto as well in kent if u still need help i can meet up with you and show you how it should be done i as well have a 3 ac in my car and have done timing many times good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts