Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Toyota Solara 3.3L V6 F DOHC
Timing Belt question.
after replacing the Timing Belt the car started with no problems and run smooth, that's when I notice the Timing Belt on the right camshaft was not all way inn and the rear camshaft lip facing the back instead of front. If am doing this correctly the left camshaft lip should be facing out and the right camshaft lip should be facing the block. To my frustration I knew I had to take the Timing Belt and camshafts back out again. Has I was trying to keep the two camshafts in time I decide to unbolt the idler pulley and take the Timing Belt off.
then when I put the impact on the crank to unbolted it rotated to the left ( I don't know how far I'm thinking quite a bit ).Now the question is how do I put the crankshaft in sink with the two camshafts?
Should I put the Timing Belt back on rotate the crank in till the two camshafts marks line up with the marks on the cover then loosing the camshafts bolts take the Timing Belt back off rotate the crankshaft to TDC install the camshafts correctly and put the Timing Belt back on. Because the 3.3L V6 F DOHC 24V is an interference engine I'm going to wait for some comments before I continue the work.
Your assistance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,198 Posts
Welcome to TN.

We have a new user interface here at TN and it's not altogether clear. I think you want to be in the forum that's specific to your Solara: https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/camry-5th-and-6th-gen-02-11-solara-04-08.104/

You can search within that forum for timing belt replacement threads. Any of those might have the steps for preparing the cams and crank for the belt. You can also search youTube for timing belt replacements on the 3.3 -- the good ones will include a cam/crank positioning sequence toward the end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts