Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing my timing belt and water pump yesterday and I screwed something up! I never took the camshaft pulleys or crankshaft timing pulleys off so I don't understand why the timing is f#[email protected] up. I aligned the new belt with both camshaft marks and the crankshaft marks, butwhen i puther all back together and started her up, she seems to be choking. I have 15 engine codes, 12 of them being each "cylinder misfires"(it popped a code for each cylinder twice for some reason), 2 "random/multiple cylinder misfires", and 1 "cranskshaft position sensor fail". It never chokes out and dies but it does run rough. I looked down at the crankshaft pulley I swear it looked like it was wobbling??? WTF did I do???!!:headbang:

As always, any help or advice will be geatly appreciated!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Pull it apart and double check all yer timing marks. Did you set the tensioner properly?

What did you use as reference in doing yer timing belt? This has piccies... ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i used the FSM. Now if i double check and the marks arent matched, am i [email protected]#!d???? and how could that have happened??? I am going to pull it apart tomorrow and ill let you know what i find.I replaced the tensioner bearing, bearing no.2, water pump and timing belt. I handled the tensioner exactly how the FSM stated. Im just lost and pissed off at myself. thanks.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Are you sure you correctly hooked up all the sensors? Again...double check all yer marks and connections... ;)

Post up all the codes you ended up pulling... ;)

Did you mess with the plug wires at all? :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird. So I have been driving my wife's car for the last two days and my T has been sitting. The first time I pulled codes I had 15, which I listed in an earlier post. After my T sat for a couple days I have 3 codes. P0304 (pd) - cylinder 4 misfire. P0171 (pd) - too lean (bank 1). And P0171 - too lean (bank 1) again. I did replace my wires and all 6 plugs at the same time as my t-belt. I used NGK plugs and wires. I did not check or change the gap however, would that be anything to be alarmed about? Thanks.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Well...problems don't just fix themselves... ;)

I'd still pull the plugs and inspect their condition. The color or residue of the plugs can tell you a lot of what going on inside the cylinder. ;)

Pull the timing cover off and inspect yer timing marks...double check yer sensor connections! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just got her pulled apart again and the new timing belt got misaligned. The marks were 6 grooves off from where I put them originally. I don't understand what to do this time to keep that from happening again. I checked the tensioner again and it is protruding 11.8mm instead if the prescribed 10-10.8mm that the fsm says it should be. Could that be the problem??

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
OEM or aftermarket parts? Sounds like yer timing belt might be stretched or too long/big? Did you compare the new one to the old one before you installed it? ;)

Got any piccies of the setup? ;)

·
Vote for me! Toyota.ca!
T100
86 Posts
I don't know...
I just let the dealer do them T belt and water pump
Did you get OEM parts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts