Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my cousin 2000 corolla belt snapped, i was about to take the cylinder head off today , and i red online a bit and i understood that there is somthing that called- "non-interference. "
that mean that i only need to put new belt and tensenior and its good to go?
no worries of bent valve/piston damage?

·
Registered
190 Posts
so my cousin 2000 corolla belt snapped, i was about to take the cylinder head off today , and i red online a bit and i understood that there is somthing that called- "non-interference. "
that mean that i only need to put new belt and tensenior and its good to go?
no worries of bent valve/piston damage?
You will still need to first rotate pistons and the cam to the proper aligning mark positions.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,437 Posts
What type of engine? Your flag says Israel, so most of us don't know what type of engine you might have.

Most Toyota engines with timing belts (not timing chains) are non-interference.

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,687 Posts
Good catch!
Looking at a couple master parts lists it could be either depending on which engine they have because more than one was offered in Israel. Plus they had a diesel offered and it appears to use a timing belt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my car's is 2001 and its chain,
my cousin's, its timing belt , i will go to check in a sec to see wht model is that,
i dont mean the sep belt...

on the license it says only 4A there(i circeld it)

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i cant find anything in toyta webside with vin number(says it wrong or something), upload the vin here it will help?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,437 Posts
It looks like it says 4A-FE on the front side of the valve cover. Wipe the grease and dirt off to see it better.

4A-FE is a non-interference engine. Throw a new timing belt on and you should be good!

Is there a sticker on the underside of the hood that shows the engine type? You should be able to tell the engine from the model code and VIN too, but in North America the VIN is 17 digits and I only see 16 digits on that last picture. But if that's the original valve cover it looks like 4A-FE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thx alot, im 90% sure its 4afe as well,
one thing im not sure of is crankshaft timing mark, just put the 1st cylinder at TDC, but how do i know its at TDC?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,437 Posts
There is a notch on the crankshaft pulley and a 0° mark on the timing belt cover that you line up. If you already have the pulley and timing belt cover off there should be a mark on the crankshaft timing gear and a mark on the metal behind it. Usually the woodruff key is pointing straight up at TDC. The back part of the gear may have a flat spot to the right and there is a metal line cast into the metal behind it and you line them up. Or you can remove the #1 spark plug and put a long screwdriver or dowel down the tube and judge exactly when the piston reached the top as you turn the crankshaft.

The 4A-FE was only on the 6th gen (88-92) and 7th gen (93-97) in North America, so you will find more specific information about the engine there.

See these also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
all finished , car sound good and running,
if i was jumped 1 tooth, any way i can know/hear it or something?
, according to marks it looks spot on(hope so)...

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
5,687 Posts
That didn't take you long!
Nice job!
If it had jumped a tooth you'd know it by performance / sound / idle etc. Plus it might throw a code.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts