Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible? im asking because i hate the belt noise.. it makes the car sounds like a really old car.. or is it just a loose belt?

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
a chain is gonna be a whole lot louder than a belt, that's why they made the change...

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oo ic ic.. i thought on newer cars they used chain.. to make it quieter?

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
chains are not as quiet and I was told chains actually added more drag. Downside is belts need to be replaced more often, chains last longer but they wear and stretch too.
No conversion I know of.

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok one question though.. why is my belt so noisy? it makes a constant rattling noise.. especially on low rpms.. is it loose?

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
when's the last time it was changed? what's the mileage on your car? the tensionner might need replacing

it can't be that slack or else the timing would be skipping and your car wouldn't run for very long

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last time it was about 20k miles ago.. the guy didnt go a very good job.. the ac belt was squealing so i had to come back to get the ac belt tightened..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You shouldn't hear the timing belt. It should basically be silent.

:confused:

To me, that would be like saying the valves in my car make too much noise.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
constant rattling could be bearings going out on your alternator or a/c compressor. Or simply the clutch plate on the compressor rattling which is not great but its not going to kill your engine. Also a/c in need of recharge or that has leaks.

Over tightened or misaligned belts soon make noise too. If your timing belt skipped,it would be huge loss of power if it runs at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well Actually some chains are quiter than the belts. My dad works for US Tsubacki and they make timing chains. They make a quite chain thats much more expensive but some are quieter. And new Nissans, Hondas, and Toyotas have timing chains in some of their engines.

·
Grenaded piston
6,607 Posts
KoboChan said:
ok one question though.. why is my belt so noisy? it makes a constant rattling noise.. especially on low rpms.. is it loose?
Are you sure the noise the coming from the timing belt?

If it is you can remove the top half of the timing belt cover and checkout the tensioner.

The tensioner can go bad and rattle.

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
something in my engine is squeaky when i start it up in the morning, but as the car's driven some, it seems to go away.. is it a belt?

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya.. come to think of it, i dont think the rattling noise came from timing belt.. its more like the ac or idler belt.. i also have problem with low idle.. cleaned iac but the problem came back after a couple days.. i have no problem with it, except when the ac is on and its idling at around 800 ish, it starts to make clicking noise around the belt area.. im starting to think that the cause is from the belts..

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
grapefury said:
something in my engine is squeaky when i start it up in the morning, but as the car's driven some, it seems to go away.. is it a belt?
Check your power steering belt. Usually when it squels when you turn the car on it's the ps belt. I don't know about the A/C belts on Camrys and if they're separate but on my old Accord it had a separate AC belt that possibly would do it too. Usually it's the tightness that does this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
grapefury said:
That is the timming belt. Open the cover a little bit and spray some belt dressing on it. It will go away.

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
take all the belts off and start the car up and see if you still hear the noise :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Camry was squeeky right after I turned it on also. Turned out to be a loose power steering belt. I guess the noise would go away because the power steering fluid became less viscous as it warmed up. I believe you can adjust a pulley that its on and tighten it up, problem solved... for me anyway.

As far as the guy with the rattle, when was the last time the water pump was replaced?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts