Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1989 Camry - going to do the TB as I am not certain of the maintanance history on this vehicle. My understanding is that both the WP and OP are 2-pieces. Am I good just replacing the "exterior" componenets of each or would one recomend I do the whole units?

Also - who makes the "preferred" (best quality/most complete) kit for this job. I see several on ebay - is this the way to go?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've actually been looking into changing the timing belt on my Gen2 too but mines a v6 so I couldn't help you with that but this place seems to have great kits for the 4 banger using all OEM parts that supposedly comes from the dealership.

·
Toyota Collector
12,016 Posts
but this place seems to have great kits for the 4 banger using all OEM parts that supposedly comes from the dealership.
Their OEM kit looks good. It does not come with an oil pump however.

The oil pump itself generally comes as a two piece unit. Most often there is no reason to replace the back housing, so you just remove two bolts and install only the oil pump. You end up with a nice shiny part you don't know what to do with. :D The water pump can come in a one or two piece kit. If it comes with the housing, it makes it easier because you don't have to mess with the main gasket, you unbolt the entire housing, bolt the new pump up and fit the bypass pipe (make sure you put in new O-rings!).

I personally have had very good luck with these kits, although the shipping can be a deal breaker for some. But they are quality I can personally vouch for them. The oil pump sells for around $60.

edit - aircabinman has free shipping in the U.S.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
even if you are replacing the water pump itself (outer part) you should take it out as a whole unit and re-use the "cover "part to avoid the leaks between the cover and cylinder block

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
If any of you are interested, I do sell genuine OEM parts for 30% off MSRP and I only charge actual shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc.

If you should have any questions, or need any information/questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts