Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a time factor for changing the timing belt or is it strictly miles. I am buying a 97 with 45k miles can I wait until 60k to change the belt or should it been changed now??????????

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
If there are no other problems with the engine I would say let it go to 60K. No rattling noises, no major leaks, let it be.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That engine is a noninterference engine meaning that if the timing belt would break, it's not going to ruin your valves or anything.. It will only leave you the inconvenience of being stranded.. On the other hand, the car is 10 years old and its most likely the original belt.. With the belt being 10yrs old, it could go at any time.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I'd change it, nothing worse then being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Parts and labor dont cost that much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '91 which I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. This past November, the mileage was only 48K, and the TB had never been changed. However, with its age, I replaced the TB, tensioner pulley, H2O pump, cam and crank gaskets, etc. I had read that with its age, it could have broken at any time, as a previously post stated. I went with a highly saturated nitrile (HSN) rubber belt, as it is rated for 100K miles. The HSN belts are now installed on many new vehicles.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Bornagain said:
I have a '91 which I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. This past November, the mileage was only 48K, and the TB had never been changed. However, with its age, I replaced the TB, tensioner pulley, H2O pump, cam and crank gaskets, etc. I had read that with its age, it could have broken at any time, as a previously post stated. I went with a highly saturated nitrile (HSN) rubber belt, as it is rated for 100K miles. The HSN belts are now installed on many new vehicles.
info on belt and tensioners:

http://www.napabeltshose.com/index.cfm?location_id=1008
:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts