Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a question. i have a toyota camry 2002. the owner's manual said that the car doesnt have timing belt but instead it has a timing chain which doesnt need to be replace. i even bought the hayne's repair manual and they only mentioned timing belt for the v6 engine. my engine is the v4. is this true? i opened the hood and couldnt see any timing belt. i only saw the serpentine belt. can somebody explain? do i need to replace timing chain? book say i dont have to. thanks

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
First, if you've opened the hood, you should know that your have an inline four not a V4...though with the spark plugs under the plastic cover, it could be hard to to see...

Wait...you can see the exhaust manifold...you have no excuse :lol:

Anyhow, your I4 does not have a timing belt - it uses a chain. Even if it did have a belt, you would not be able to see it because it's hidden behind covers. The chain is on the front side of the engine (the left side as you're standing in front of the car looking at the engine).

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
does not need replaced

·
Crash Test Dummy
2007 Toyota Camry CE
880 Posts
book says you dont have to, owner's manual says you dont have to... so you probably dont have to

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.