Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to corollas. I am looking at taking a 1981 corolla wagon off a neighbours hands (108,000 miles). The one thing he mentioned was that you can here the timing belt, but that it doesn't need changing. My understanding is that it is a non-interference engine meaning that if it goes there should be no engine damage (correct?), but of course you will be stuck where you are, I can live with that. Is there anything I need to be concerned about with the timing belt noise (damage? etc). Or could it be basically left until there is an issue. The vehicle is of fairly low investment but I would like to get some use out of it and not sink a lot of money into it.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Hummm...I "believe" that the current gen Corolla uses a timing "chain" which thus doesn't need changing like a belt.

But I'm not sure about what happens when the chain breaks. I'd be surprised if damage didn't occur.

Have you asked a dealer yet?

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
i would say go to a dealer and try getting one anyways, 1981 is fairly an old car, so they might not have the parts available, but in any case, you should just have one just in case.

Timing belt isn't that had to do anyways, mise as well change it if the previous owner hasn't done it yet.

·
Registered
'81 Corolla wagon
77 Posts
Haynes manual says this is a timing chain, so it's not likely to need regular replacement like a belt. Not to say that there's not something wrong with your chain!

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
if its a belt, you gotta change it about every 40,000km. Chain needs to be changed when the chain stretches beyond spec, those dont last forever you know.
Generally engines with chains are interference engines, meaning chain snaps its the end of the world.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,075 Posts
I had worked on several early 80's toyotas and remember an 1980 tercel, the chain guide was a block of nylon to stop it from slapping, take off cover and see if the guide is out of spec (check clearance)

I believe that the corolla had similar cyl head and cam drive system, just the blocks were bigger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.