Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I purchased a timing chain kit for my 88 4 Runner to replace the one that ate one of the dampers.The new chain doesn`t have the marked links to align with the marks on the sprockets.How can I be sure that my chain didn`t jump a link when the damper got crushed into the crank sprocket?Also I`m having a really hard time getting the cam sprocket on.I read that the cam has to turned ever so slightly clockwise to install and then turned back to original position.How hard should the cam be to turn?
I`m sorry if these sound like dumb questions,but this is my first attempt at a timing chain.Thanks for any guidence you may have.
Danny
:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
if it's aftermarket you gotta mark the links yourself you want them exact opposite. put the motor on top dead center of no1 cylinder (piston at top of compression stroke, rocker arms loose.) on my 94 the cam gear just slipped right on to the dowell and cam no turning necessary, the cam should be impossible to turn by hand without a tool or the sproket

·
Registered
1 Posts
Once you are sure you're TDC with Cyl 1

Place the links of chain on a flat surface and mark one's that are opposite to eachother. 12 oclock and 6 oclock. Be sure those links are on the cam and sprocket gear that are notched. To get the cam gear on use a 19mm socket on the pully bolt and move the crank back and forth - read wiggle - to get the tenioner to suck in. This will allow you to get the cam gear on the cam over the dowel pin.

BE SURE NOT TO FORGET THE THRUST WASHER ON CAM GEAR. Don't mean to shout but I did this oversight and it caused my dowel pin to snap on the cam gear and distributor gear - $$$ :mad: Without this thrust washer your cam bolt will bottom out when you torque it down and you'll get a false torque reading agains the distubutor gear. Your cam gear will vibrate and those dowels are designed for that. :disappoin

Use a torqe wrench on the TC Cover bolts as they are easy to snap, especially the ones for the water pump. Toy didn't use grade 8 type bolts on those engines and they are pretty tired by now.

All the best
:)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts