Toyota Nation Forum banner

Timing chain is making a lot of noise !!!

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  rated_w 
#1 ·
hi guys

for some reason, in the morning during a cold start.
my girlfirend's 2001 corolla make a LOUD LOUD sqeeking noise, but after like 30mins of driving it'll be gone.

well is been there for a while, she took the car to the dealer and the dealer told her it was the timing chain and it is normal for her car to do that. but it is really bothering both me and her cause the noise is just TOO LOUD. btw, my gf's car is 2001 corolla, w/ VVTi engine, but i don't know what's the engine code is.

anybody having the same problem ??????? or know what's going on ??

Thanks in advance guys

#4 ·
but last time when my gf took the car to the dealer
they also checked the belt and they said is fine tho ???
will it be the pully ??? or the dealer is just BS-ing me ???
btw the dealer that she took the car to is DIXIE toyota LoL

#7 ·
the car has around 82000km on it =)

btw this does not happen only when the wheather is cold.
As long as the car has been sitting there for like 7 or 8 hours, once the car is being started the noise will come !! =)

is time to head to celica forum to take a look =) thanks deep :)

#8 ·
Corolla timing chain squeak/NOT

The problem causing your squeak is the serpentine belt tensioner. If the warranty is off, remove the belt and tensioner bracket complete.
Disassemble the tensioner pivot and apply a light synthetic grease. Reassemble and install a new belt(also check idler pulley bearing noise).
This will take care of the squeak.
Toyota will want to put a new tensioner on which is 300CAD. It will do the same thing in about 8oK,km

#9 ·
doesnt sound like much of a dealership

hum

im not sure how a chain can squeak, unless it was rusty ?? lol ?

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.