Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got an 89 P/U with a busted chain. How much should I expect to pay for someone to replace it? I've gotten one quote of $1500, if everything goes well he said. That seems like an awful lot to me. I only paid $500 for the truck. What should I do? This sucks!

·
rookie
796 Posts
1-do it yourself
2-find a mechanic and see if he wants to do a 'side job' for cheap
3-buy a newer engine with a new chain if yours has any potential problems/noises.
4-take it to a local college/high school auto shop and see if they will do it, they usually charge no labor.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
$1500 is a total ripoff. If you can find a mechanic that works specifically on Toyotas, that would be best. The job takes about 4 hrs, assuming the timing cover isn't rubbed through from the timing chain.

ALSO... read the timing chain replacement thread in the "sticky" section at the top of this page, it explains the whole procedure and even has glossy photos.

·
Registered
139 Posts
scottay said:
How would I go about buying a new engine? Can I get a "drop-in" motors for a descent price?
Go to ebay..........type in 22r* and you'll see many motors from many different companies. Many different prices....but you can get a motor easily for $995.00 to $1500.00, you'll have to add your intake and maybe other goodies off your old motor. This is assuming you are talking about a 22r or 22re motor and if not they have others on the good old ebay.

·
Toyota Fixer
TOYOTA
64 Posts
Broken timing chains can be a real bummer because they can cause valves to bend sometimes and it just screws everything up. If you are interested in a rebuilt long block there are a lot of places around SoCal that sell them for about $750.00. If your valves arent bent then it really should not be that much to replace the whole timing kit. Usually parts for that kind of job are going to cost you about $50.00 its the labor that kills yuor wallet.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
$1200-1500 is going rate for this job... Sucks doesn't it?

If you look around you can find a rebuilt engine for that price but a word of warning here, a lot of rebuilding companies use the cheapest timing kits they can find as I found put. I had my rebuilt engine with only 10k on it throw a timing chain and bend all of my valves. $600 and 40 hours later I was back up and running.

My advice to you, find a good cheap rebuilt engine and buy it, and then before you install it yourself put in an engnbldr steel rail timing kit. You should be good to go then.

·
Canwe fixit? YES we can.
41 Posts
You can do it yourself if you're into it and have the time.

My truck was pretty rusty, so it took extra time for me, and I purposely took mytime as well. It took me about 8-10 hours. I had trouble with radiator bolts breaking off, stripping the little nuts on the fan, and various other little corrosion-related issues that were pretty fun :-(

I'd be happy to answer any "stupid" questions, because I just went through it and I'm kind-of stupid myself sometimes. It went well, all in all. I got stuck a few times, so I really do understand where you're at. This is a great list. The help I've received here is incredible. If the valves got bent, I'd personally consider a used or rebuilt engine, but if adventure is where you're at, tear it down and check it out.

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
i got a mech who does it for 349 and change

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
If the valves got bent?

If your timing chain broke and you did not bend any valves that would fall just short of miraculous.

If a professional mechanic looked at you truck and estimated it he should be aware of that. $1200-$1500 just to replace the timing chain is high but did that take into account the likely additional damage to your engine?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
$1200-$1500 is WAY HIGH for a timing chain replacement, even if you called it two days of labor. If that's the going rate where you live...........move. That's closer to a price you would get for replacing the entire motor. That HAS to be a dealer price. No self respecting independent mechanic could charge that with a straight face.

When I was shopping around for a motor, I found a reputable place locally that had rebuilt long blocks for $1600 delivered to my door with a three year warranty which included $45/hr labor if it failed. I didn't buy it because I couldn't afford it but I thought that was pretty reasonable considering the warranty.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
I got a $1500 estimate when I called around. That's why I did it myself.

Going by the FSM, they call for the head to be removed and the oil pan which also requires dropping the front diff. It called for something like 14 hours in the book and as this was one fo the best shops in town they were asking something like $80/hour plus materials. What's bad about that is they weren't even aware that I had bent valves so that estimate would have gone up for the head work.

Done the FSM way, they remove the entire front end basically, and strip the motor down to the block. It costs about the same to get a rebuilt engine and put it in yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy said $1500 if everythng went well. Sounds like I probably have bent valves. So maybe I should shop for a rebuilt longblock? How labor intensive is that? Everybody told me this guy was expensive but really good, plus his shop is right across the street from my house so I could kinda keep an eye on everything - maybe learn a few things. The truck is basicaly a rust bucket but I love it. Where I live you can drive on the beach and the truck floats like a dream. Its funny seeing guys in brand new Hummers getting stuck and me cruising by smiling with no problems....hehe. Thanks for all the comments guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let's assume the valves are bent....how expensive would it be to replace them along with the timing chain? Is there a kit? Rebuilt head? Sorry I'm so dumb about this stuff, bear with me.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Replacing the valves would be part of a valve job where the valve guides are replaced and the seats reconditioned. This could be done by a competent mechanic or a machine shop and the price would be entirely dependent on your local area.

A remanufactured head would be another option. I think ATK and Jasper offer these for a 22r

Also complete heads can be purchased from LC Engineering, DOA Racing, and other places on the net. I'd say just shop around and find the best price you can on a reliable option.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Or try to do the work yourself. There may also be some damage to the tops of the pistons. Check engnbldr.com They have brand new heads for around $400 delivered and I think it includes new valves and everything. Another $90 with a cam and I think pistons are $60.

They also have complete rebuild kits. There stuff is very good and Ted is extremely knowledgable and willing to give advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I have something in common with Scottay, I also just recently bought an 89 pickup with a busted chain for $500, go figure. Mine is a base model 2WD. I will be doing all the work myself but I have a question. How can you tell if the valves are bent or damaged? I did pull the valve cover off and the valve clearances seemed ok. The only other thing I can think of is pulling the manifolds off and checking with a flashlight to see if the valves are seated properly. I was told that the chain broke while pulling away from a dead-stop at an intersection. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts