Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
532 Posts
You can just replace the o-ring. I have helped a couple of people with this procedure, a new o-ring cured the oil leak. If the vehicle has higher mileage you can replace the whole assembly for piece of mind as the tensioner is not an expensive part. I have yet to see the tensioner fail on its own.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
532 Posts
dorman68, where did you the o-ring and what size or part# was the part.
Toyota does not show the o-ring as a separate part#.
Mikered beat me to the punch. Toyota part number 90301 22013

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
only if you fill your engine with 25qts of oil lol... just messing around

It is NOT necessary to drain the engine oil. Good luck, might i recommend getting a tube of black FIPG and apply a small bead at the base of the tensioner. Just an idea.

Good luck

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
Black FIPG.

The orange colored is for transmission, differentials, transfercases etc...

If you call the dealer, they should know what "Black F.I.P.G." is. I can get the part number for you if you need it.

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
Not sure, never used any of their sealers... I'm sure if one says it can be used for oil pans or oil seals than you should be good. Also, make sure you take some brake parts cleaner and spray the area off a little once its out. that way your sealer can adhere to the metal. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2008 Matrix bought used at 94,7000 in April 2013, the used dealer supposedly replaced the tensioner but it still leaking now at 100,690 :headbang:, even though they bought a new one from a dealer and showed me the fax invoice.

1) Is this a common problem even on replacement parts.

2) I don't mind a little oil leak ( I use to own VWs), and I check my oil often - Can I just drive as is since it is a new tensioner?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was going to fix this problem myself on my 2006 Corolla, but a family member told me it's not a big enough leak to matter.

So, is this leak something that should be fixed, or can I ignore it?

·
ASE Certified Master Tech
672 Posts
I fixed mine by simple removing the tensioner and cleaning all of the oil off of the old O-Ring.

I didn't have another O-Ring that was the same size so I applied some orange permatex and reinstalled the tensioner - with the old O-Ring - and it's been bone dry ever since. That was about 18 months ago.

Of course if your O-Ring is broken, torn, deformed, or hard it will definitely need a new O-ring however mine seemed to be in good shape (maybe a bit flat).

I see no need to replace the actual tensioner other than for piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,104 Posts
I replace the o-rings.

I also don't use any RTV anymore. Did for years and figured out not only does it still leak after a while, but it makes a huge mess next go around.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts