Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some experienced help..

2009 2zr-fe, The original engine had cylinder 3-4 bridged due to a bad head gasket and severely pitted the block so that's on the side.

I replaced it with a 2010 block with the original cylinder head. Couldn't find any difference in any way.

SO THE ISSUE... Timing is correct 100%, Crank sensor new, cam sensor new, coils new, wiring harness with 32k miles, the car ran like crap before the work was completed.. No engine codes.

It will not start, the spark timing is completely off and firing at random orders with no pattern, sometimes it locks itself up like a valve hitting the piston but its not hitting. Is there something else i can change instead of getting a new ECU? I redid the timing and head gasket 3 times now checking to see if the valves were hitting the piston.

·
Registered
271 Posts
could it be locking up because the plug is firing at the wrong time? Like a back fire? How do you know your timing is off and firing in the wrong order?

·
5,911 Posts
hmmm... crank position sensor? cam sensor? They tell ECU what's where when it moves. As it sounds like ECU is confused on when to fire.
Also, you do have VVT, right? If you do, is it set properly? Or, it WILL move cam and open valves at the wrong time. And it does not take much.
That under condition that 09 head can be mated with 10 block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could it be locking up because the plug is firing at the wrong time? Like a back fire? How do you know your timing is off and firing in the wrong order?
The scanner my buddy has shows all random firing orders/times... From what it sounds like its backfiring and locking it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm... crank position sensor? cam sensor? They tell ECU what's where when it moves. As it sounds like ECU is confused on when to fire.
Also, you do have VVT, right? If you do, is it set properly? Or, it WILL move cam and open valves at the wrong time. And it does not take much.
That under condition that 09 head can be mated with 10 block.
So is there a special procedure for the VVT? I just aligned the timing marks correctly. I'm wondering now if that is whats happening with the cam.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just did the head gasket on my 09 1.8l and didn't follow any fancy procedure for the timing. It's a bit of a pain to get the marks all lined up but once you do you're good. Just make sure it didn't jump a tooth before you were able to get the chain tensioner engaged. FYI after you rotate the engine by hand a few times the timing marks won't line up anymore, but will all be the same number of links away from the marks on the gears as each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did the head gasket on my 09 1.8l and didn't follow any fancy procedure for the timing. It's a bit of a pain to get the marks all lined up but once you do you're good. Just make sure it didn't jump a tooth before you were able to get the chain tensioner engaged. FYI after you rotate the engine by hand a few times the timing marks won't line up anymore, but will all be the same number of links away from the marks on the gears as each other.
Yea I took the cover back off and all the marks line up, so I think its time to break down and send it to the dealer to find the issue. I think the computer went bad somehow and is not communicating correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
ZackSherman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing