Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Sorry... but I honestly don't see a point of this thread... Tints are tints...

There's 5%, 15%, 20%, 30%, 35%, and 50%. (15% and 30%, exist but not common). With 5% being the darkest and getting lighter as the number increases.

35% is the save norm and the legal limit in most states

Front windshield is illegal.

This is probably all the information people will need.

Otherwise, this is just another picture post thread...
No, depends on the jurisdiction. Some allow 4" at the top and some allow to the AS1 mark (they might be the same thing but I'm not certain).

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
:lol: yep, the last 4 months of last year I hit 3. 1 did $3,100.00 worth of damage. The other 2 were just headlights and a turn signal.
I don't know anything about tinting windows.
What is the lightest you can go on the side windows that will keep direct sunlight tolerable?

BTW, everyone whos posted pics so far has some really good looking cars/windows.:thumbup:
There are films that will cut UV and heat without affecting visible light transmission much.

For example: Lumar Air Blue has 80% visible light transmission but rejects 43% heat and 99% UV

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Was looking through the thread here and had some questions. I have a new 2011 Camry LE and it gets so hot inside the car and I have a 14 month old and it is just miserable for him even with the AC on. So I was looking at getting the windows tinted, wish I had it from the factory, but did not know the difference between tints. Someone mentioned Formula Pinnacle Ceramic and Lumar Air Blue..what are differences, what is a ceramic tinted window. I though about going through the delaer and they want $400. I don't know what they use but I thought if I was going to spend the money I should get something that is nice. My only concern is that it will peel, look fake, or fade and make the car look like crap. Thanks for any help
Ceramic tint, such as 3M Crystaline and Huper Optik, will have higher heat rejection than other films. For example 3M Crystaline 70% has about the same heat rejection as 3M Color Stable 20%. The advantage to that is you can have light color tint with high heat rejection. If you want dark though, Crystaline only goes down to 40 or 50% so you'd have to get something else like 3M CS.

Ceramic tint is not cheap. Expect to pay $500 to $600 for 4 doors plus back glass. By comparison, 3M CS 4 doors plus back glass will run $250 to $300. This can vary depending on locale, but probably not by much.

Do not get the 3M FX tint if you think you will keep the car more than a few years.

Toyota cannot legally put tint on the glass from the factory darker than what's on there right now, which is 70% VLT. Vans, suv, and trucks are a different story.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
^^^ awesome info, thanks alot. I plan on keeping this car until it breaks down (so hopefully a very long time) so I want to put something nice that will last so the $500-600 will be well worth it.
Don't get fooled by some of these people getting their windows tinted for $100 or some lowball price, whether it is 3M or not. Like every other manufacturing company out there, 3M makes several lines of their products. Their less expensive films are some type of dyed film which may fade after a few years. CS and Crystaline have lifetime warranty against fading.

I *think* most of their films carry lifetime warranties, but that's only against delamination, bubbling, peeling, etc. I *think* only CS and Crystaline are the only lines that guarantee against fading but don't quote me on that. Some of the FX films may have similar warranties but I'mnot certain about that. The lowest FX only has 3 year warranty; the other two I'm not sure.

Also Johnson and Llumar also make decent window films and probably have their own ceramic films. Quality wise, 3M, Johnson, and Llumar are probably about equal.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Does any1 have a black car and a 50% tint with mirror effect?

I had 30% on my car and cop pull me over for it, so now I want to stay safe and do 50% (seeing how they don't have 40%) and the mirror effect to help deflect.

I search all over but don't see this combination.

thanks.
If you want heat rejection, ceramic tint will be best.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Im planning to tint my windows in a couple weeks, im thinking about 20% 3M color stable all the way around, and 50% 3m color stable on the windshield. Reputable shop with tons of reviews quoted me $502, getting ripped off or just in the price range it should be in? thanks
That seems a bit high for 3M CS. On my car for 7 windows, 4 doors plus back glass, the quotes I received ranged from $250 to $300. That does not include the front windscreen. I would guess that Seattle would have similar costs of living compared to San Francisco area, maybe a bit less. Regardless, another $200 to $250 to do the windscreen seems high to me.

On my car, 3M CS 50% and 20% look very similar from the outside so you may get in trouble for that. My interior is light grayish color.

The windscreen, and other glass aside from moon roof is already tinted to 70% from the factory. If the vehicle is American made, then it has HSEA glass. The JPN vehicles only have UV cut. At least it was that way for the 2007 models.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I have black leather interior. they charge $295 for the 4 windows and the rear windshield, the front windshield is $180. didnt know 50% vs. 20% almost looks alike. i was hoping the sides would be dark enough so the cops dont notice the front windshield being tinted.
If there is bright light behind the tint, then yes, there is a noticable difference between 50% and 20%. But if you are driving in a shaded area such as a downtown where there are lots of tall building without bright light then they can look very similar from outside.

In bright sunlight, 20% may allow outsiders to see silhouettes of people inside but not much more; 50% allows to see more detail such as maybe skin tone or color of clothes but not much details. But I'm talking about when you have bright and direct sunlight on the car or such as in the afternoon.

The windshield is larger and possibly have more curvature than the back glass so accordingly it will cost more labor. It may be harder to install.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
That price alone screams rip off. Tints are $150-250 depending on the brand/quality of tint and how reputable the shop is.

I got my sisters 2010 Matrix tints done with 3M for $190 for all 5 windows. The shop also does home and police cars. Mine was $220 for Solargard from a shop that was doing my alarm.

Expensive for all 5. Windshield is a rip also. I can get it done for $80.

50% and 20% does not look a like or even come close. But it would in your case since the interior is already dark and has less light coming in so the front looks dark too. Not to mention, the interior also factors in.
These are meaningless figures if you don't state what type of film was used. If you did not put 3M CS then it is an invalid comparison? MMM makes at least five different lines of tint at different price points.

Further: Comparing a 5 windows on the back half of a Matrix is another invalid comparison. We are talking about Camry done all around here. The four doors plus back glass is 7 windows. That further increases the cost of the job.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
The glass from the factory is already tinted to 70% VLT. If you put 40% on there, it's guaranteed to be less than 35% VLT. If you want to be compliant, then you need something lighter than 40%.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
just curious does the 2010-11 camry se sunroof have uv protection with the smoked glass? or just smoked class and nothing else?
All the glass has anti-UV on it. For 2007 models, the NA built vehicles HSEA windshield, but Japanese vehicles did not. I don't know if that has changed or not. All glass was tinted to 70% VLT also, moonroof aside which IIRC was tinted to 20% VLT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.