Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,233 Posts
Was looking through the thread here and had some questions. I have a new 2011 Camry LE and it gets so hot inside the car and I have a 14 month old and it is just miserable for him even with the AC on. So I was looking at getting the windows tinted, wish I had it from the factory, but did not know the difference between tints. Someone mentioned Formula Pinnacle Ceramic and Lumar Air Blue..what are differences, what is a ceramic tinted window. I though about going through the delaer and they want $400. I don't know what they use but I thought if I was going to spend the money I should get something that is nice. My only concern is that it will peel, look fake, or fade and make the car look like crap. Thanks for any help
As stated, Toyota does not do tints as windows are already tinted slightly.

Getting windows tinted by the dealership is not from the factory. They have a contract with a local tint shop and if someone requests tints, the tint guy will come to the dealership and do the tints on the spot. Same goes with pinstripes on the side of the car.
Does any1 have a black car and a 50% tint with mirror effect?

I had 30% on my car and cop pull me over for it, so now I want to stay safe and do 50% (seeing how they don't have 40%) and the mirror effect to help deflect.

I search all over but don't see this combination.

thanks.
Any mirror effects on tints are illegal and a no-no. Its even harder for police officers to see in.
Im planning to tint my windows in a couple weeks, im thinking about 20% 3M color stable all the way around, and 50% 3m color stable on the windshield. Reputable shop with tons of reviews quoted me $502, getting ripped off or just in the price range it should be in? thanks
That price alone screams rip off. Tints are $150-250 depending on the brand/quality of tint and how reputable the shop is.

I got my sisters 2010 Matrix tints done with 3M for $190 for all 5 windows. The shop also does home and police cars. Mine was $220 for Solargard from a shop that was doing my alarm.
I have black leather interior. they charge $295 for the 4 windows and the rear windshield, the front windshield is $180. didnt know 50% vs. 20% almost looks alike. i was hoping the sides would be dark enough so the cops dont notice the front windshield being tinted.
Expensive for all 5. Windshield is a rip also. I can get it done for $80.

50% and 20% does not look a like or even come close. But it would in your case since the interior is already dark and has less light coming in so the front looks dark too. Not to mention, the interior also factors in.

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,233 Posts
These are meaningless figures if you don't state what type of film was used. If you did not put 3M CS then it is an invalid comparison? MMM makes at least five different lines of tint at different price points.

Further: Comparing a 5 windows on the back half of a Matrix is another invalid comparison. We are talking about Camry done all around here. The four doors plus back glass is 7 windows. That further increases the cost of the job.
I dont remember what line from 3M was used but it was not the cheap one. When I go get my car detailed, I'll take a look. The tints werent hand cut either. It was cutout by a printer machine type. He enters the year, make and model and the printer/cutter will trace out/score all the tints to size for all windows. He than places the tint on a board and cuts out the tint from the lines made by the printer, so that its fully cut.

Well, the matrix had the small back windows done as well...so 7. I usually dont count the small back windows..hence I said 5.

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,233 Posts
dont be scared with handcut films though... its really all about the shop. the guy who did my tints hand cuts the tint and I can bet mine is closer to the edge of my window and just as straight if not straighter than any machine cut tint.
Nothing wrong with hand cut tints. Just stating the process of how that specific shop did it. Mine was hand cut and close to the edge of the window as well.

But like you said, its all about the shop. Those looking for shops, if you have car buddies, ask them where they got their done. Or if you know a mechanic or someone in the car biz, they should know some shops.

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,233 Posts
^ do they do a test to show you that it's 35% FINAL? Cause cops will use the tester to test the glass with the tint, not just the tint.
No shop will show you a test (never even heard of a shop do such a thing). They sell and install tint film and you take legal responsibility and your driving actions.

My 35% tint film were 28% or something like that after the cop measured. I got pulled over due to road I was on and its known for drag racing and they probably thought I was one. Looked at my car, asked for my info and measured my tints. Came back and told me to get the tint fixed and let me go. Havent removed the tint and still pass by cops all the time.

If you're scared of tint and being pulled over, dont bother putting tint on. There are thousands of car that is well below legal limit. They are not going to stop you just because you have tints. They rather catch speeders and bigger offenses such as moving violations.

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,233 Posts
Thanks, that just prove I got the worst luck.. I did get pull over JUST FOR TINT. :facepalm: 30% though, the cop said it look like 20% but I wasn't going to fight with him. He give me the fix it ticket.
Did he use a tint measurer or did he assume it was 20% by looking at it?

If he had no solid proof of it, I would of fought it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.