Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Camry XSE 2021 a few days ago and was wondering what is the percentage on all windows on the factory tint package upgrade? (Did not buy it since it is cheaper to do it myself or at a shop)

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
574 Posts
There is no factory tint package upgrade.

It's a dealership installed tint "upgrade" which they source out to a local tint shop to install a cheap dyed tint and which then they mark up considerably for profit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think if and when i do tint my windows i would go 70% all the way around. not sure but it should be california legal and help save battery on the hybrid system when running the air conditioner.
i could also go 70% up front and darker in the rear but i kind of like to keep things looking uniform. who knows tho which way i go.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Typical factory tinted glass rates from a 15 to a 25% light level. A good tint shop will have sample pieces to be able to tell.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Typical factory tinted glass rates from a 15 to a 25% light level. A good tint shop will have sample pieces to be able to tell.
75-80% VLT is more likely, 25% is illegal in most states. Any decent tint shop will have a meter they can put on the glass to measure the VLT%.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jperryss is correct.
people get the %'s mixed up. VLT , visable light transmission.
25% is what I have but in ILLinois here 35% is the darkest you should have. By law tint in ILLinois should let 35% of the light though. I have seen factory tint that is like 90%, so almost as light as glass itself ,lol

Limo tint is 10-15% VLT.

25% is pretty dark, a buddy got in my car at lunch today, full sun, and didnt realize it at first, that there were two people in back...

Beside a tint shop having that meter.. so will your local cops.

·
Registered
2021 Camry XSE
17 Posts
I did 5% on the back door windows/rear window and the strip on the front window. 20% on the driver and passenger windows the day after I bought mine, love the way it looks and the car is a lot cooler sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've had cars w/ limo on all rear glass (rear doors and rear glass), and medium on front doors. If dark on front doors, it will darken things up even more, and you'll stick out more for police to issue gix it tix. CA not supposed to have tint on front doors. Medium is a good compromise I am willing to take. Dark on front absolutely sticks out.

Daytime is great. It's like wearing sunglasses w/o wearing sunglasses.

At night, it is HARD to see. You only see the headlights. Fortunately modern cars have backup camera and the beep proximity sensors.

You should ask friends or tint shop to see what it looks from inside with limo on rear glass. Ideally they drive you around at night for a short bit. You'll have a better idea.

Worst case, is you'll have to pay to get tint removed and apply one shade lighter or darker.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
1,333 Posts
Jperryss is correct.
people get the %'s mixed up. VLT , visable light transmission.
25% is what I have but in ILLinois here 35% is the darkest you should have. By law tint in ILLinois should let 35% of the light though. I have seen factory tint that is like 90%, so almost as light as glass itself ,lol

Limo tint is 10-15% VLT.

25% is pretty dark, a buddy got in my car at lunch today, full sun, and didnt realize it at first, that there were two people in back...

Beside a tint shop having that meter.. so will your local cops.
Thought Limo tint was 5%.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Limo, Dark, Medium, Light are terms shops made. Tint film makers sell by VLT: 5%, 10%, 15% etc.
It's become accepted that limo is 5% b/c that is what limos put on the passenger area glass. If 15% was put on limos, this would become the "limo" standard.

Shops typically carry 4, maybe 5 tint shades: limo, dark, medium, light, clear (uv protection & heat rejection). Limo should be 5%. What then shop calls dark, medium, light is their discretion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Here any tint driver forward is illegal outside of the top bit of the windshield.

And personally I don't disagree. While it might be nice in the sun, it is still reduced visibility when the sun goes down, like driving with sunglasses at night. Here they can legally pull your vehicle off the road as an unsafe vehicle for it. Window tint places get good business when customers insist on it, then com back a month later to have it all pulled off so their insurance isn't revoked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts