Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to remove tint from the rear window w/o ripping off the defroster strips??

·
02 Spectra Blue Mica
02 Celica GT
301 Posts
i beleive a solution of water and ammonia will remove the tint. just spray/wipe it on and it will start to loosen the adhesive and let you take it off.

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll test it out on one of my door windows to see if the glue gives away. Thanks.

·
TRD Guy
588 Posts
i just heard that the rear takes a very long time, cuz u gotta scrape it and everythin cuz of those defroster...

·
On The Street
268 Posts
ive seen this spray called 'tint off' at an autozone. not sure what it is called but it removes tint off windows. name is close tho.

·
Registered
214 Posts
err...i'd be a lot more careful when removing rear tint...if you just take it off like you do the other parts of your tint, you will mess your defroster up

i think it's worth it to just have the people at a shop take it off...but that's me

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
all i can say is don't go by using a razor to take it off. i tried it and it took me forever. best thing to just take it to a shop and have it done unless the ammonia thing works.

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I went to the shop and they said that they are not responsible if the defroster does rip off. With that being said, you basically going on a no guarantee basis. I think I would be more careful than an employee who is not liable for damaging the defroster. Although I do have another option, I want to make my tints 20% b/c 35% really doesnt do much.

There's really nothing wrong with the rear tint as far a bubbles and peeling is concerned, would it be a better choice to have them just retint over the existing tint??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used windex and a bare razor blade to do this on several cars (CHP in Cal are a bunch of ******) and have never damaged anything.
---tint laws suck:mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts