Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting the Matrix XR 2006. I am a neophyte to car buying and have one simple question for now. I see some vehicles around town that have tined windows and yet, I find nothing on the Toyota site that talks about pricing or packages that includes tinting.

Can any car buffs explain if I get A Matrix with factory installed tinted windows or is this done afterwards? What is the price before vs after? I see tinting described in percentages and can anyone explain them. I want tinting in the trunk area, and back passengers sides. Does one usually do the same tinting in this area, and minor tinting in the drivers area. What is usual? thanks

Puzzle(d)

· XRS
2,544 Posts
Most, if not all dealerships assign tint jobs to a third party. In other words, they contract any tinting requests or tinting 'options' to a local tint shop. Obviously, the dealer will mark up their cost for the tint option. If you can locate a reputable tint shop in your area you will almost always find a better deal by doing your tint outside of the dealership.

Tint percentages basically work this way...the lower the percentage, the darker the tint is. The percentage indicates the amount of light that passes through it.

The most typical tinting methods for the Matrix that people seem to be doing is:
5 windows - hatch (3) + rear doors (2)
7 windows - hatch (3) + rear doors (2) + front doors (2)

It's all a matter of preference. Personally, I went w/ 22% all around 7 windows for a uniformed look. Some choose to go really dark for the rear 5 and a tad lighter for the front 2.

You'll have to check your area for local tint laws.

If you're in the GTA, I can recommend you to the tint shop that did mine.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MistaMatrix (and others)

Thank you for your information, and giving me a description of your own numbers. Can you tell me the average cost of tinting the windows? I live in Ottawa so I could use a referral here, though I do pass through Toronto (is this a one day process?).

Are there different methods of tinting and which is the best, most reliable way? Is it just a film coating that can peel off, or is it a spray? Sorry, I really am very unknowledgeable about this issue, though I want it for esthetic and practical reasons. I need to know what to ask for when calling around for a quote / longevity / reliability of shop etc.

Puzzle

· Tabarnak chu où?
903 Posts
Puzzle2 said:
MistaMatrix (and others)

Thank you for your information, and giving me a description of your own numbers. Can you tell me the average cost of tinting the windows? I live in Ottawa so I could use a referral here, though I do pass through Toronto (is this a one day process?).

Are there different methods of tinting and which is the best, most reliable way? Is it just a film coating that can peel off, or is it a spray? Sorry, I really am very unknowledgeable about this issue, though I want it for esthetic and practical reasons. I need to know what to ask for when calling around for a quote / longevity / reliability of shop etc.

Puzzle

Puzzle2, I am in Gatineau... got my Vibe tinted in 2002 when I bought it.... It was done a Derand with Llumar Millennium Tint film . They offered a lifetime warranty on the job and film.... and it cost me 300$ to have it done.

Don't trust just any place to get it done, and if you can get a place where they give you a warranty (lifetime)...

I had the 4 doors, the 2 rear windows and the hatch done.

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Yes, I'd highly recommend a lifetime warranty on the film *AND* the work!!!

I've got a 5 year old tint job that's really startin' to go........(and with High Performance film, no less)........and I wish I'd have had it done at a good shop w/ lifetime warranty. (oh well)

· XRS
2,544 Posts
I paid roughly $200 tax-in through a group buy we had going last year. The shop normally doesn't do work for the public rather they're one of those shops that provide tint service for satellite dealerships around them. 98% of their jobs are from dealerships.

The typical method of tinting is via film. But beware. Not all tint films are alike. DIY tint like the kind you can find at Canadian Tire isn't as good as let's say, Solargard HP (which is what I have on mine, BTW.) Cheap quality tints tend to bubble or discolor after awhile.

Good shops offer some sort of warranty so look out for that as well. So in the event one window starts to peel or bubble abnormally they'll touch it up/replace if necessary.

In terms of hrs, I suppose it all depends on how many windows you need done. But usually, you'll leave your car w/ them for a day. So if you drop it off in the morning, it should be done by the end of the day. Also, it's wiser to apply tint in warmer temperatures so that the tint will adhere properly to the windows. Most shops do have indoor heaters to speed up the process but some also will leave the car outdoors on a sunny day.

· Registered
385 Posts
Puzzle 2,

I paid ~ $230 in Toronto. They installed Sun-Guard tint.

Remember, its not the installation shop that usually offers the warranty. In most cases its the Film company. Hence either one can go under one day.

Also be sure to vacuum the interior of the car prior to tinting the car. This is very important if you have a dog !!!

· Registered
17 Posts
Mr

I have an '06 Matrix and an '06 Corolla. There is a place in Ottawa on Youville Road, called Accurit. Been in business at that location for 8 years now, they say.

http://www.accurit.ca/contactus.shtml

Costs from $140.00 for a 4 door car and $120.00 for a 2 door.

Check 'em out and let me know if you wouldn't mind. I don't live in Ottawa myself so it's a bit tough - although I get up there fairly often.

Byrde

Puzzle2 said:
MistaMatrix (and others)

Puzzle

· Registered
505 Posts
Go see Sandros at 174 Colonnade Road S., 226-8471. The name of the business is Shades Window Tinting. He's the best in the country, not just Ottawa! Unfortunately, you pay a little more than at other places, but he uses the best stuff, does the best job and is a fanatic when it comes to cars and detailing.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TRXRFRKDS - you said that "Go see Sandros at 174 Colonnade Road S., 226-8471. The name of the business is Shades Window Tinting. He's the best in the country, not just Ottawa! Unfortunately, you pay a little more than at other places, but he uses the best stuff, does the best job and is a fanatic when it comes to cars and detailing

Can you tell me how much he would charge, and what type of film he uses, and does it come with a lifetime guarantee? I can see from the postings that there is a variance on the price. I just want to sound educated when I call.

Puzzle

· Registered
40 Posts
Window Tinting

Anyone try doing it yourself ?? The stuff from SnapTint looks pretty good.

Has anyone dealt with this stuff or snaptint ?

Just looking for feedback, I may want to try it my self.

They dont look too difficult from the website anyway.....

John R

· Registered
2010 TOYOTA RAV4
35 Posts
window tint your self bad idea

hey bud you don't want to tint the windows your self. companys are offering warranty if it bubbles. which it may do. no problems to you. if you do it yourself and it bubbles it is a big headache. besides i had a company do it for me and paid 200.00 dollars and it looks great. depending on your local laws what i recommend is the following: rear doors, quarter windows, and hatch go as dark as you want. and go legal on the two front doors. see when the other windows are dark they make the front windows look dark. but if you get pulled over by the police and they test your driving window it will be legal. most suv vehicles which includes the cuv are allowed to have rear tint that is darker than law. as long as the front windows are legal. but it depends on your local laws.
have fun. i love my matrix.
:D

· 2006 XRS Owner
2006 Matrix XRS
28 Posts
Edmonton Area

Just picked up my Matrix XRS this week from the dealership...and I was wondering if anyone on the forum is from the Edmonton, Alberta area and can recommend a good tinting shop here that does good work, has a good warranty and good prices...any help would be greatly appreciated!!

· Registered
40 Posts
Bad Idea !

drake44130 said:
hey bud you don't want to tint the windows your self. companys are offering warranty if it bubbles. which it may do. no problems to you. if you do it yourself and it bubbles it is a big headache. besides i had a company do it for me and paid 200.00 dollars and it looks great. depending on your local laws what i recommend is the following: rear doors, quarter windows, and hatch go as dark as you want. and go legal on the two front doors. see when the other windows are dark they make the front windows look dark. but if you get pulled over by the police and they test your driving window it will be legal. most suv vehicles which includes the cuv are allowed to have rear tint that is darker than law. as long as the front windows are legal. but it depends on your local laws.
have fun. i love my matrix.
:D
Hey thats what I was looking for....a good reason not too !
Thanks, I will look into getting it done.

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.