Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all

i jus wanted to know if any1 had bought their own window tint sheets and done it themselves... its so much cheaper to do, but i dont know how hard it would be to do and if theres a chance id screw the windows up or sumthin

ty for replies

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
dont do it...its really hard, it wont come out right.

just suck it up, pay the $150 or so and get it done right.

tinting windows sucks

·
Registered
38 Posts
actually i've did my mom's car a while back... not too difficult of a job... just needs a lot of time and careful cutting...
heres a DIY
before u do anything... clean the inside of ur windows really really well.. and use a cloth that wouldn't leave little fibres on ur windows.. or else ur going to get bubbles on ur tint.

1. spray soap water onto the windows... lay the sheets out on top of the window.
2. tape the sheets down with masking tape. carefully trace and cut the sheet snug with the rubber along the windows..(becareful here... as the tints are two sided... like stickers with a plastic piece that u can peel off...make sure that ur tracing with plactic piece facing u.. not the tint side)
3. spray the inside windows with soap water... peel out the tints.. stick it onto the inside of the window... and start smoothing the tint out with the rubber piece that came with the tints.
4. if u see bubbles.. use a needle and poke it.. use a hair dryer to heat the area and use ur fingers try to smooth it out..
5. trim the edge of ur windows with a really sharp knife..

for the rear window... do the same thing to cut out the sheet.. that fits ur window... but this time.. cut it in sections as the rear window has a bigger curve... u should follow the heat lines on ur rear windows as a guide and section the tint into 2 to 3 long strips depending on the size of ur window... and do the same to spray the inside window... lay in the sheets... smooth it out.. and try to match the lines back together... and u should have a one piece look from the outside...

hope this helps...

it wouldn't hurt to do it urself... the tint that i did for my mom's lasted for 8 years until now without any ripples... but only minor peeling on 2 corners in the back window... we even sold the car without the buyer complaining about the tint... and if u would spend the time to really smooth those tints out... i'm sure it'll have no trouble lasting u for as long as mind did..

·
Registered
Avalon
262 Posts
I've been in this same dilema myself. I'm a pretty competent do-it-yourselfer, but I haven't got around to buying the tint yet. I know it's a lot harder to do then cutting and sticking. I think shrinking the tint just right would be the hard part. Everywhere I've read it says that you have to get the window "perfectly" clean if you want a nice finish.
Check out this website www.tintdude.com. He seems to really know what he's talking about, and says that if your just gonna get one car done have it professionally done. I guess it really depends on how meticulous you are. All the proffesionals had to start somehow.
Heck, if you try and screw up, you can chalk it up as experince, your not gonna scratch the glass or ruin anything if your even slightly careful. You might end up throwing out $50 worth of tint though.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Tinting yourself is not worth the money unless you Know how to do it and/or have other people that need it done also and will pay you to do it for them which in turn gives you free tints since they buy the material. Also with all the tools needed, it will cost you a ton. If you have friends who also want it, you can split up the costs, therefore you will spend less.

New edit thx to 2wickedtoyz

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
Tinting gone wrong can be horrendous, don't do it yourself if it's your first time

I've been staying away from tinting myself only because my state's law is really strict and i don't want to fail inspection

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
spydrvnm said:
most cases, only one car is involved so are you saying that its usually worth it?
I meant its more economical to do multiple cars at once.

How do i change it to say what i want?

·
Registered
175 Posts
i did it on my back window... i'll get pics today when i get home.... there are a couple miniture bubbles... but nothing really noticeable.

i even used the cheap tint from wlamart :D

(oh and it was a bitch to put up)

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
You can tell who has done it themselves and who had it done for them. I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the pain of seeing your car look like crap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts