Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I am just posting to gain an understanding on some of the electrical features on the Highlander Hybrid that could possibly increase my mpg.
I understand driving habits i.e. acceleration and braking habits and conditions such as hills and wind can drastically reduce your mpg; however, are there any electronic features that I should know about? I am aware that driving on eco and leaving your AC on eco mode can help, is there anything else I am missing? I am roughly averaging 25 mpg, I am looking to improve that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If only driving a short distance of less than 2 miles in the winter - or any time weather conditions would require cabin heat - turn off the climate control - there's an off button. The vehicle won't get warm enough to produce any heat anyway in such a short distance so you won't be any colder than if you left the system on but the hybrid system will go into EV mode much sooner. I find than in less than 1/2 a mile the system will start showing EV mode even when staring from dead cold and outside temps are below 40 F.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If only driving a short distance of less than 2 miles in the winter - or any time weather conditions would require cabin heat - turn off the climate control - there's an off button. The vehicle won't get warm enough to produce any heat anyway in such a short distance so you won't be any colder than if you left the system on but the hybrid system will go into EV mode much sooner. I find than in less than 1/2 a mile the system will start showing EV mode even when staring from dead cold and outside temps are below 40 F.
Thank you for this. I’m guilty. There are times I’d drive for about 5 miles or less and blast the heat on. Does nothing. I also read that using the heated seats instead of the heater is much more efficient!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I find that when driving in winter, it takes a good 30 minutes for the cabin to adequately warm up. I don't expect any mileage savings within that timeframe.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I also read that using the heated seats instead of the heater is much more efficient!
I'm no expert but I don't believe a seat heater is that much of a draw on the battery - not enough to keep the hybrid system to go into EV mode like the cabin heater (?). Maybe if you have a Limited with rear seat heaters and all four passengers were using them at the same time that would make the 12V inverter battery charger, which is powered off the large 288V battery, work harder.

A/C on the other hand uses a 45V inverter power source that is also powered off the large 288V battery and will probably reduce the EV mode. There is the ECO mode that reduces the the power consumption to help efficiency but also the ability to cool on really hot days. Unlike the heat you would probably want to run the A/C on a hot day as soon as you start the vehicle as cold air is produced very quickly even for short trips. Also using the A/C is really required to help longevity of the 288V battery as excess heat will shorten it's life. Not using the A/C on a hot day and driving around with the windows open will improve fuel mileage but at the risk of shortening the life of the 288V battery - it needs to be protected for excess heat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no expert but I don't believe a seat heater is that much of a draw on the battery - not enough to keep the hybrid system to go into EV mode like the cabin heater (?). Maybe if you have a Limited with rear seat heaters and all four passengers were using them at the same time that would make the 12V inverter battery charger, which is powered off the large 288V battery, work harder.

A/C on the other hand uses a 45V inverter power source that is also powered off the large 288V battery and will probably reduce the EV mode. There is the ECO mode that reduces the the power consumption to help efficiency but also the ability to cool on really hot days. Unlike the heat you would probably want to run the A/C on a hot day as soon as you start the vehicle as cold air is produced very quickly even for short trips. Also using the A/C is really required to help longevity of the 288V battery as excess heat will shorten it's life. Not using the A/C on a hot day and driving around with the windows open will improve fuel mileage but at the risk of shortening the life of the 288V battery - it needs to be protected for excess heat.
valid points thank you

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Coasting is essential to economy, plan ahead to coast at every opportunity, the gas engine will shut down and you can regenerate if you have to but applying the brakes is your greatest loss. Play a game where you dedicate your planning on the fewest times you can touch that waste pedal. That is what it is (brake pedal). Learn light timing to perfection. stay engaged and know what is going to happen with forced stops. Try to get to the stop sign when it is clear, something like 17% of fuel burned nationwide is idling which your hybrid should not do very much. be strategic with battery use and regeneration and know that regeneration is not that efficient, so it should be used judiciously to keep the battery charged to a decent level. Get to the light when the traffic is moving out of the intersection and it's still green.
Pushing 46 MPG now over the last 800 miles with about 4-5 of the original 21.75 gallons 11.9 [email protected] 10in jugs). Might get it to 900 or more with a couple left, 1000 miles would be 50 MPG in my 20 year old Echo with close to 180k miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi folks. I am just posting to gain an understanding on some of the electrical features on the Highlander Hybrid that could possibly increase my mpg.
I understand driving habits i.e. acceleration and braking habits and conditions such as hills and wind can drastically reduce your mpg; however, are there any electronic features that I should know about? I am aware that driving on eco and leaving your AC on eco mode can help, is there anything else I am missing? I am roughly averaging 25 mpg, I am looking to improve that.
Don't allow that darned needle (Left side circular dial) to go past top dead center. EVER. Even if the cars behind you are honking and flashing their lights. Screw them! I'm getting 41 mpg, and so can you. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts