Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
We're planning to buy a used Tacoma so I'm trying to learn more about them to help us make a good purchase decision. I'd appreciate any tips or advice you could offer that would help.

I do have some specific questions.

1) Are there any significant upgrades that we give up going with an '04 or older truck? We do not plan on putting a lot of miles on this truck so something newer and lower mileage seems like more than we need.

2) Are there any particular years or options that tend to be less reliable? We're going with Toyota because of the great reputation, but I'll ask anyway.

3) Any problem with the hubs? I had an F250 4x4 with automatic hubs. They didn't get used a lot and when I did use them, they often malfunctioned, refusing to unlock. I finally wound up putting in manual hubs. I am leaning toward a 4x4 Tacoma but most of the time it will be driven 2wd. (I'm assuming that it is a true 4x4 and not AWD that is engaged all of the time.)

4) Is there a good site that provides guidelines about the various option packages? You all probably know what options come with the PreRunner or SR5 and so on, but I don't!

many thanks for your help,
hank

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
I just traded in my 1996 Tacoma extracab and bought a 2005 access cab that I found on Autotrader. You can probably get it directly, but Edmunds Used Cars area takes you to it. In my case, my search was greatly simplified when I found that option near the bottom of the web page (about 2 screens down) that allowed me to input 4 cylinder, manual transmission and 2wd. I, of course, got lots of regular cabs and one Prerunner, but I found one access cab that turned out to be a 1 owner. I purchased a 10 auto Carfax search and checked it out along with other vehicles. Do use Carfax, because it'll tell you whether it was a fleet owned vehicle and whether it was in an accident and the number of owners.

Some things I learned in looking at Tacomas:

1. The "Prerunner" is a 2wd jacked up to look like 4wd. Kinda stupid in my mind but okay if you really want to look stupid.

2. The access doors came in with the 2005 model year. Also, the 4 cylinder gained 5 more hp to 164.

Look at the reviews for the different model years in Edmunds if you find a particularly interesting model you think you want to look at.

Ralph
The natural gardener
God's original intent

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information, Ralph. I did not know that the older trucks did not have the rear doors for the Access cab. That matters to us because SWMBO has to move the seat all of the way forward to reach the pedals. That rules out the standard cab since it seems it only comes with a (non-split) bench seat. We're leaning toward the Access cab (though I would also be happy with the double cab.)

It looks like Edmunds is a pretty good site for information on older models. I also see from the test results at safercar.gov that occupant crash protection was improved for the 2005 model.

thanks,
hank

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
The 2005 + are a much bigger truck than the 04 and older. Bigger all around.

Oh, I am one of those stupid looking people with the prerunner. I don't know how having "4x4" on the mudflaps makes other people look smarter than me but apparently it does. And I do have a 6 cylinder engine so I guess I'm not so dumb.

Seriously Hank, find out what options work for you and your needs. You should be able to find a truck that you like. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of your truck as far as prerunner/4wd, 4 cyl/6 cyl, red/white/black. I live in Miami and drive in the city on flat streets so 4wd would be a waste of money for me. If you live in snow country then 4wd could be very important to you. It'll be your truck and I think you'll enjoy having a Tacoma.

And welcome to TN, both of you.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just traded in my 1996 Tacoma extracab and bought a 2005 access cab that I found on Autotrader. You can probably get it directly, but Edmunds Used Cars area takes you to it. In my case, my search was greatly simplified when I found that option near the bottom of the web page (about 2 screens down) that allowed me to input 4 cylinder, manual transmission and 2wd. I, of course, got lots of regular cabs and one Prerunner, but I found one access cab that turned out to be a 1 owner. I purchased a 10 auto Carfax search and checked it out along with other vehicles. Do use Carfax, because it'll tell you whether it was a fleet owned vehicle and whether it was in an accident and the number of owners.

Some things I learned in looking at Tacomas:

1. The "Prerunner" is a 2wd jacked up to look like 4wd. Kinda stupid in my mind but okay if you really want to look stupid.

2. The access doors came in with the 2005 model year. Also, the 4 cylinder gained 5 more hp to 164.

Look at the reviews for the different model years in Edmunds if you find a particularly interesting model you think you want to look at.

Ralph
The natural gardener
God's original intent

Please check your attitude at the door Ralph!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I love stupid. It allows me to change my oil without ramps and hide gifts on the floor under the truck on Christmas Eve.

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
My 1996 with extracab had a divided front bench seat. This 2005 has bucket seats in the front, and, in my opinion, has gotten too big. It's too tall to wash or wax the roof without opening the doors and hanging onto something to do the roof, like I used to have to do with my Ford Ranger. It's just barely low enough to load and unload from the side but just is; whereas, the bigger pickups just plain are impractical. You gotta have a ladder to get get to almost any part of them. The Chevy Silverado actually started including a ladder into the tailgate to allow people to get into the bed from there without a separate ladder.

The juiry's out on what my fuel mileage will be on this 2005. It's EPA is the same 26 as the 1996 on which I got 27.4 over 90k miles of owning it. The first 1/2 tank on the 2005 showed only 22 mpg on the highway back, but they might not have filled it completely at the dealer.

Oh, the insurance people rate this model so highly that our insurance only went up $28 for 6 months on liability and $1,000 deductable on collision. Figured with a newer pickup that the collision would really go up on it. This one has 4 wheel ABS, antitheft, special keys, etc. that the 1996 didn't have.

If you can wait a while, I'd try to get a 2004 access cab without the doors if it has a split bench or bucket driver's seat. 'Twould be a tad smaller and all to be a bit more practical. Don't buy a blimp if you can avoid it. We got a blimp, albeit a "drives like a dream" one (according to my wife). Does ride and handle better than the 1996. The 1996 had rather vague steering. We've a sporty European sedan and convertible that handle really well. The 1996 wasn't to that same standard.

My most favorite pickup was our Dodge Rampage. Wish they still made one like it. Handled and rode like a sports car but would still haul a yard of stuff. The 1996 would do 1 1/2 yard. This one may actually do near 2 yards. Will have to measure its dimensions and compute it. Those big, impractical pickups do 3 yards.

Ralph
The natural gardener
God's original intent

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ralph,

Remember Chrysler Corp. is in trouble because they SUCK. I don't know why you would like the Rampage, it's a glorified car with FWD, which would SUCK if you drove up a hill on a dirt or gravel road with one brick in the back. If you're so in love with it , get one from the junkyard and rebuild it, again and again and again and again......... Or get a Tacoma with weak leaf springs, rotting out frame, piston slap on cold start, and other misc. stuff that Toyota has gotten cheap on. (I sure hope that mine will last awhile!!) I'm starting to think that Toyota SUCKS too.(shoulda kept my Subaru) Damit, they used to be good! What the hell happened to them? Got cheap like everyone else?

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
Yes, the Rampage had rust problems and an overhead valve cover gasket problem (not occurring until about 80k miles), but it was still my most favorite pickup configuration. FWD makes the most sense for a pickup because they're running around unloaded about 95% of the time. This thing would go in the snow without ANY weight in the back. It would also haul a yard of dirt or mulch. Did it many times, and it would climb hills with that load in the back. Unless you've driven one, don't condemn it. Like the Indians used to say, "Don't condemn me unless you walk a mile in my mocassins."

I'd love to see Toyota or SOMEONE built another small FWD pickup. Better yet if it had a 2.0 liter turbo diesel engine in it, similar to what the Mitsubishi pickups had in the 80s. The present pickups are too obese for most applications. If we need real grunt or hauling power, we can always rent a small Uhaul truck on occasion. In the meantime, give us a good pickup to run around empty in and to do small hauling jobs.

Ralph
The natural gardener
God's original intent

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
. Unless you've driven one, don't condemn it. Like the Indians used to say, "Don't condemn me unless you walk a mile in my mocassins."
seems to me you were condemning a PreRunner a few posts back? :confused:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a good small pickup that I use mostly empty for commuting and do small hauling jobs. Its not as large as some pickups so it fits neatly in my garage (with the garage door closed) and it still gets decent mileage for a 6 cyl. automatic. It's not a 4x4 but it has reasonable ground clearance and has a rear end locker. The only bugs It has ever had were on the windshield so I have to wash that some times but the best way, I figure, to find out the quality of a truck is to observe how many older ones you see on the roads. There's a grip of these. I got an 04 Prerunner but you probably figured that cause if was anything else I'd be in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, the Rampage had rust problems and an overhead valve cover gasket problem (not occurring until about 80k miles), but it was still my most favorite pickup configuration. FWD makes the most sense for a pickup because they're running around unloaded about 95% of the time. This thing would go in the snow without ANY weight in the back. It would also haul a yard of dirt or mulch. Did it many times, and it would climb hills with that load in the back. Unless you've driven one, don't condemn it. Like the Indians used to say, "Don't condemn me unless you walk a mile in my mocassins."

I'd love to see Toyota or SOMEONE built another small FWD pickup. Better yet if it had a 2.0 liter turbo diesel engine in it, similar to what the Mitsubishi pickups had in the 80s. The present pickups are too obese for most applications. If we need real grunt or hauling power, we can always rent a small Uhaul truck on occasion. In the meantime, give us a good pickup to run around empty in and to do small hauling jobs.

Ralph
The natural gardener
God's original intent

I cannot believe that anyone would think that a FWD pickup is superior to a RWD/AWD pickup. So what happens to that 5% of the time that you speak of when you actually need to carry something. You load it up in the back of your FWD truck and head down the highway 10 miles, it starts raining, you pull off the interstate up the offramp and get stuck at the light, light turns green and you go no where cause you don't have enough weight over the front tires. Sounds BRILLANT!!! YES Chrysler!!! Please bring back a FWD pickup!!!

Seriously, there's a reason why there's no FWD pickups, they didn't sell. And if you're only using your truck 5% of the time to haul stuff then you need to find a friend that uses their truck and borrow theirs when you need it. It'll save you thousands on a vehicle that you don't need.

And Pre-runners KICK ASS!!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi folks,
We're planning to buy a used Tacoma so I'm trying to learn more about them to help us make a good purchase decision. I'd appreciate any tips or advice you could offer that would help.

I do have some specific questions.

1) Are there any significant upgrades that we give up going with an '04 or older truck? We do not plan on putting a lot of miles on this truck so something newer and lower mileage seems like more than we need.

2) Are there any particular years or options that tend to be less reliable? We're going with Toyota because of the great reputation, but I'll ask anyway.

3) Any problem with the hubs? I had an F250 4x4 with automatic hubs. They didn't get used a lot and when I did use them, they often malfunctioned, refusing to unlock. I finally wound up putting in manual hubs. I am leaning toward a 4x4 Tacoma but most of the time it will be driven 2wd. (I'm assuming that it is a true 4x4 and not AWD that is engaged all of the time.)

4) Is there a good site that provides guidelines about the various option packages? You all probably know what options come with the PreRunner or SR5 and so on, but I don't!

many thanks for your help,
hank

Sounds like you're needing a plain-jane pickup, am I right? If so, your year and mileage aren't really going to matter since it sounds like this will be an occasional work truck around the house. +1 to the person who mentioned Carfax. Did it on mine and glad I did, also if you're going for a 2000 or older truck be sure to check the frame of it really well if you buy from in your area. I'd take a hammer with me and just do some tapping on the inside and outside frame rails just to check for the rust that seems to be hindering the 95.5-00 trucks. Other than that, get what you need. These trucks will last a very long time. You will not be disappointed. Best of luck and let us know what you find!!!

Welcome to TN!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I cannot believe that anyone would think that a FWD pickup is superior to a RWD/AWD pickup. So what happens to that 5% of the time that you speak of when you actually need to carry something. You load it up in the back of your FWD truck and head down the highway 10 miles, it starts raining, you pull off the interstate up the offramp and get stuck at the light, light turns green and you go no where cause you don't have enough weight over the front tires. Sounds BRILLANT!!! YES Chrysler!!! Please bring back a FWD pickup!!!

Seriously, there's a reason why there's no FWD pickups, they didn't sell. And if you're only using your truck 5% of the time to haul stuff then you need to find a friend that uses their truck and borrow theirs when you need it. It'll save you thousands on a vehicle that you don't need.

And Pre-runners KICK ASS!!!!!
You nailed it! Thats why I said what I said Ralph! ('Nuf said.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts