Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone replace their air filter yet? i haven't had a chance to take a look at how difficult it is yet. anyone have any tips, or is it straight forward like normal toyotas a few clips here and there.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Might want to read TrailDust's post from the past.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272986

One word of caution from my dealer. Watch the vacuum hoses on the left side of the top of the air box. The connector tubes are plastic and if you break one off you will have to replace the top of the air box

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
One word of caution from my dealer. Watch the vacuum hoses on the left side of the top of the air box. The connector tubes are plastic and if you break one off you will have to replace the top of the air box
:werd: :thumbsup:

-

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just take your time and dont rush. I replaced my OE filter with a K&N @ 200 miles so all hoses and screws were still nice and clean but I still used some compressed air to clean the engine bay a bit before working on it. Not much to it though...simple procedure but like mentioned above, watch for hoses and connectors.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just replaced the air filter yesterday, along with the cabin air filter. I removed the MAF on top of the air filter housing by removing the two screws. This made the process a lot easier. One thing I noticed after putting everything back together is that the edges of the air filter are exposed. Anybody else notice this?

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
I just replaced the air filter yesterday, along with the cabin air filter. I removed the MAF on top of the air filter housing by removing the two screws. This made the process a lot easier. One thing I noticed after putting everything back together is that the edges of the air filter are exposed. Anybody else notice this?
You didn't seat the top cover properly...the air filter should not be exposed. This filter housing is the biggest pain in the a** I've ever had regarding an air filter. It's going to take lots of cussing and body English to seat it properly, but you'll get it. Did you review the link summerwind provided above? It might help to get the housing back on correctly. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You didn't seat the top cover properly...the air filter should not be exposed. This filter housing is the biggest pain in the a** I've ever had regarding an air filter. It's going to take lots of cussing and body English to seat it properly, but you'll get it. Did you review the link summerwind provided above? It might help to get the housing back on correctly. Keep us informed.
Once I unscrewed and removed the MAF sensor, it wasn't really all that bad for me. I put the air filter cover back on while wiggling it sideways, and it seemed to attach to the brackets on the left hand side properly. However, once I saw that the air filter sides were exposed, I removed and installed it a second time. Same result. I took a look at a picture I took of the engine when it was new, and saw that the air filter was exposed then also. See below. The only thing I'm wondering that I can't see from the picture I took when the car was new, is that right now it is exposed on the entire left and right sides as well. I obviously didn't take any pics of the engine from those angles when it was new. Can anybody else look at their air filter box and see if the edge of the air filter is exposed on the entire left and right side?

Here is a pic I took when it was new. The air filter is the white part that is circled.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
Then, IMO, your top cover was not installed correctly. It's a bitch getting that top cover on, but when it's in place it forms a tight, complete seal that prevents you from seeing the filter at all. I don't have the time right now to take a photograph, but if another member doesn't post one first I'll take a pic later today or tomorrow morning to post and show you.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
Okay, I took these photos this afternoon so you can see for reference. As you can see, the seal is tight and no filter is seen. BTW, pay no attention to the bugs....;) :lol: Hope these photos help....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the pics, TrailDust. I noticed that you have the same gaps that I have on mine, but on mine, you can see the stock white air filter, and on yours, it appears black. See below. I've circled in your pics where the white air filter is exposed on mine. Now, I know that you have a K&N air filter. Do you remember if the edges of the filter are black plastic? I'm wondering if what I've circled is really the exposed edges of your K&N air filter, but since the edges of the filter are black, it looks like it is not exposed? I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get home from work, since it's too dark outside now.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
Okay, yes, you're correct. The K&N filter has a black gasket that runs its circumference. And, yes, now that you point it out in the photos those are sections of the filter exposed, but the good news is the filter housing and filter perform a perfect seal so you're okay. I thought from what we discussed before that the upper housing might not have been properly seated. Anyway, thank goodness for the power of photos to clarify things! :cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here are the pics of my air filter box. As you can see, the size of the gaps are the same as yours, but since the stock air filter is white, it is more noticable. Like you said, the filter and housing form a seal, so I guess I'm okay. I didn't notice that the air filter was exposed before changing it, but I guess it was.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to go through the process of replacing the filter? How difficult did you find it to be?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to go through the process of replacing the filter? How difficult did you find it to be?
I went through the whole process twice, since I thought there was something wrong with the air filter being exposed. I've heard other members saying that they had a tough time, so I was prepared for that. However, after removing the MAF sensor, I didn't really find it that difficult of a process. It wasn't super easy, but when putting the cover back on, I just wiggled it sideways a few times until it attached to the two "brackets" on the left side. It took me about a half hour to do the whole process twice. The first time, maybe 20 minutes, and then about 10 minutes the second time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just replaced the filter also and thanks to the tips it was easy...took about 5 mins. i did notice the gap that are pictured above that shows the white filter, i guess its normal. i just unclipped the sensor and used a ratchet type screw driver, opened up the box about half way and slid in the filter. thanks guys for the tips

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just replaced my air filter with a K&N also. When I took the top of the airbox off, I noticed that there seems to be a secondary type filter that appears to be part of the airbox (cant remove it). Does everyone else have this also? What happens when that piece gets all dirty, do you have to replace the top of the airbox?

Thanks

·
Tinkerer
2008 Highlander LTD
47 Posts
Just replaced my air filter with a K&N also. When I took the top of the airbox off, I noticed that there seems to be a secondary type filter that appears to be part of the airbox (cant remove it). Does everyone else have this also? What happens when that piece gets all dirty, do you have to replace the top of the airbox?

Thanks

Good question, I've alway wondered what that secondary filter is for and if there is an opportunity there for improved airflow. Bump bump....

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've seen that on Toyotas. Its a carbon filter used to absorb vapors after you shut the vehicle off. Should be able to remove it. And, its a restriction.

We need a CAI or short ram.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts