Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for tire chains for a 2002 HL 4WD, (to access a cabin at the end of a 2-mile long dirt road with snow/mud 1-2 weeks per year). I've read the HL owner's manual, and talked to tech support at Pewag, Quality Chain, and Thule, and they can all tell me what chains will fit the 225/70R16 tires, but when it comes to being sure if there is enough clearance, they say the only way to tell for sure is to try to fit them. So I'm posting here (first time) to see if anyone knows first-hand what chains (with occasional, limited, off-road mud capability) will fit.
Thanks,
Dave dmkr

·
Registered
'06 Highlander
8 Posts
Sorry I haven't got first hand experience with chains on my '06 Highlander since I've only had it since April. But I have loads of experience with cable chains on various vehicles over the years living in Northern Alberta and British Columbia. Looking at my basic Michelin summer tires with 80% tread in the wheel wells of my Highlander, there'd be no problem fitting a set of cable chains. I assume you want chains rather than a good set of knobby M+S or serious winter tires as you're talking about 1-2 weeks per year and are based in the United States of Nice Climates! Also, a good shop would happily accept your return if any purchase doesn't perform as it should.

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
Ya, I would recomend a good set of M&T tires maybe even 235 width for extra flotation if it gets real muddy. I have had cable chains on many vehciles up here in New England and cable chains perform well in DEEP snow much better than during the mud season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts