Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tire chains for the V6 AWD Venza 20 inch tires

This was originally posted Apr 24,09 Who has purchased tire chains for their 20 inch wheels? And, what brand, model number, and also who supplied the chains?

Looking early in the season for tire chains for the V6 AWD Venza, 20 inch tires. Page 247 of 2009 Venza owner's manual is explicit in dimensions for the links on the chain.

Also, my assumption is cable chains are out. That assumption is from the diagram on page 247.

Suggestions, ideas, sources, are welcome.

Local tire stores don't carry or don't have access to these specific chain dimensions. Also, I checked with SCC and tirechains.com. Nothing.

Does a Toyota engineer monitor the forum? He/she would be very helpful.

Cheers David

·
Registered
2009 Venza 2017 Tund
368 Posts
Anyone out there know where one can purchase tire chains for my big footed Venza. We have an I4 thereby we are looking for P245/R55R19 tire chains. Ours is an AWD so in Wyoming we do not have a chain law problem. However we are headed to the Sacramento area, over Donner Pass in November. I understand they do have a mandantory chain law if the weather is terrible. It is not really a big deal since I will probably hunker down in some motel if it is that bad. I have spent my time on the mountains with all fours chained up on the 4 WD pickup pushing bumper deep snow. Really don't want to do that any more. However I do like to be a prepared as possible, so if anybody knows of a source, for preferably cable type chains or light car type chains. I would appreciate the name of that vendor. Much obliged..:) Wyovenza

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I use these vs. actual chains - easy on/off..... can you use this type?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain-Z-579-Performance-Traction/dp/B001H9GQR4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1287664657&sr=8-8[/ame]

This is the brand/type

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought a pair of Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ435 on Amazon for $90 + tax. They should get here some time beginning November. After careful consideration of reviews, ease of installation, and performance, I went with the Super Z6. And with the slim clearance of this cable chain I'm sure these will be hassle free, although it looks like the Venza has plenty of clearance.

To find the best selling tire chains on Amazon go to this page and scroll to the middle and click on 'list of best selling snow chains' I used http://www.vulcantirechains.com/ to find brand and type that fit the Venza.

Bring on the snow!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
those are the ones I got 7 use...... they work well for when I go a mile on hilly unimproved (dirt) access road to my nephew's cabin in down east maine

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chains arrived today. Ran out to the garage to make sure they fit. They seem a bit snug and I was expecting a little more slack in the front. They seem to fit fine but wondering if there should be more slack across the tread as there is a possibility of running over the red plastic spacers.

They are pretty easy to put on and I could see myself putting these on without a problem during a snow storm. I have a pair of no frills, standard cable chain for my other car and found about the only way to get the chain securely on is to jack up the car. And forget about the included "gloves". They are made for dishing up salad, not putting chains on. Literally. Definitely not the same gloves as in the demo videos. The bag is pretty nice. There are drain holes in the bottom so be aware. And the chains actually fit back in the bag when you take them out which is a big plus. lol

BTW, this is for the 20 inch wheel: 245/50R20. The SZ435 would be the same for the 19 or 20 inch tire. And you get two cable chains in the set.

You can see the red, plastic spacers close to the edge of the tire.

Plenty of clearance. Do not see a clearance problem if you were to use regular chains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chain clearance on 255/50-20 tires

I have a 2011 Venza V6 awd. I'm about to do a long road trip through the rockies and I wanted to make sure I have some chains in case I need them. I had upgraded my tires when I purchased the car (thanks to tips from here) and go the Yokohama PARADA Spec-X 255/50-20 tires.

I'm wondering what chains you all would recommend and if clearance might be an issue. I live in the NW and Vegas where I don't really encounter much snow, so I don't have a ton of experience with chains. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Overweight Lover
351 Posts
I am not sure about the chains, but would you please post a pic of your venza showing that tire size? Maybe one from the side and one rear 3/4 view??

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Instead of chains, I got cable type snow grips......they've worked well the few times I needed to use them comig out of a hunting camp a mile into the central maine woods on primitive icy road with hills.

I am aware chains are manatory in certain road sections of the rockies but don't know it cable chains are effective/approved/legal in that environment...... there are no cleaance isss with the cable chains.

·
2019 Highlander LE AWD V6
2019 Highlander AWD
214 Posts
I carry a set of Alpine Sport #2323 to fit the standard 245-50R20 tires - never had to use them so far:clap:
The label says they fit a variety of sizes and may fit yours. I did a google search on your tire size and found as an example

http://www.tirechain.com/255-50R-20.htm

Don't know about clearance for your size.

John

·
Registered
2009 Venza 2017 Tund
368 Posts
I was the second post to this thread, looking for chains for our 2009 I4 because we were headed to California over Donner Pass in the winter months. We did go on the trip to Sacramento, we did arrive at Donner pass during a blizzard, Donner pass was closed for two days so we just enjoyed the hospitality of Reno. {there are worse places to be caught in a blizzard} In the end there were trucks backed up for miles on I80 then they opened it up. Terrible roads but they did not even stop us for the chain law, we had AWD. Buzzed right over the mountain no need for chains. After 35,000 miles and 3 years of Wyoming driving, I know if I ever really need chains I would be darn crazy to be on those roads. I have never driven anything with the traction and stability of our 2009 Venza AWD I4. Love our Venza. Wyovenza

1 - 12 of 12 Posts