Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good tire cleaner to use that wont leave the tires with a wet look, and oily dirt magnet on them? i just want my tires to be black and look normal.

·
'95 Camry V6 XLE
948 Posts
In general, tire "cleaners" just clean the tire (and are most commonly a combo wheel/tire cleaner), and then you have to use a tire "dressing" or whatever you want to call it, to give them a nice black look.

There ARE some all in one products that you just spray on the tire and it's supposed to clean them AND dress them too, but I've never tried them. Don't see how it could clean the tire without any washing and then dress it, so I have to assume that it's just dressing the tire right over top of all the grime that's on it.

So, are you looking for a tire "cleaner", a tire "dressing", or both, or are you interested in an all in one type product.

Based on your question, it sounds more like you're looking for a good "dressing". But, you need to make sure your tires are good and clean before you dress them if you want the best results.

For a good combo wheel/tire cleaner Eagle brand cleaners work well, as do others. Make sure you get one that specifies Wheel & Tire though, because I've used some wheel cleaners that didn't do diddly on the tires. And make sure you use a cleaner that is safe for your type of wheels. Most of the good ones are safe on all types of wheels.

For a good tire dressing, Meguiars makes several good products. Some are SUPER wet shiny, others are lower gloss.

Also, do you have any preference for using Aerosol, vs. pump spray, vs. gel? Gel dressings are a little more work, but you don't have to worry about overspray on your wheels or paint.

If you do some searches on "Tire Cleaner", "Tire Gel", "Tire Shine", etc., you'll come up with a plethora of information :)

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Eagle One - All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Spray it on, aggitate with a brush and then let is sit for a minute. Then hose it off. Black funky water will go running down your driveway, and your tires will be happy and clean. :D

Now that the tires are clean you can apply a nice new coat of tire dressing. For a retail product, I like Meguiars High Endurance tire gel, applied with a foam Eagle One Tire Swipe.

·
'95 Camry V6 XLE
948 Posts
Eagle One - All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Spray it on, aggitate with a brush and then let is sit for a minute. Then hose it off. Black funky water will go running down your driveway, and your tires will be happy and clean. :D

Now that the tires are clean you can apply a nice new coat of tire dressing. For a retail product, I like Meguiars High Endurance tire gel, applied with a foam Eagle One Tire Swipe.
As of today, I can support the Meguiars High Endurance tire gel recommendation. Based on posts here, I picked some up at Auto Zone. Did my Camry tires and it looks great. If it's as long lasting as promoted I'll love it. They didn't have any tire swipes in stock, so I just put it on with a cloth. Seemed to work fine.

Last product I tried was Meguiars NXT Insane Tire Shine. Looked great. Lasted a long time. But, I didn't care for the aerosol overspray, and I didn't get many applications from the can. The High Endurance Gel was more work, but there was no mess to clean off the wheels or paint afterward. And, I'd say I used about an ounce to do all 4 tires, so I should get about 16 applications from the 16 oz bottle.:thumbup:

·
Go Vols!
317 Posts

I agree, saw in another post that PB recommended the Eagle One so I tried it and it is by far the best cleaner I have used for the tires. While it says it's for wheel and tire, it doesn't seem to work as well on the wheels. I still end up having to wash the wheels with a separate sponge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I heard Coca Cola works as a cheap tire dressing...no joke. Apparently it's very big in Mexico.

I would scrub my tires with soap first, however.
Interesting. I'd be afraid of drawing ants into my garage ;) Seriously, I do like to hear about homemade solutions in detailing.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I agree, saw in another post that PB recommended the Eagle One so I tried it and it is by far the best cleaner I have used for the tires. While it says it's for wheel and tire, it doesn't seem to work as well on the wheels. I still end up having to wash the wheels with a separate sponge.
I always use a mitt or something on the wheels. There is no cleaner that you can just spray on the wheels and expect perfectly clean wheels without touching the wheels with a brush or mitt. Same thing goes with the paint. You can't just spray soap on the paint and rinse it off. You have to touch the paint with a mitt to get it really clean.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I heard Coca Cola works as a cheap tire dressing...no joke. Apparently it's very big in Mexico.

I would scrub my tires with soap first, however.
If you do this, use Diet Coke. Regular Coke has too much sugar and will make a sticky mess.

Personally, I would just use tire dressing, and save the Coke for drinking. LOL

·
money pit
337 Posts
i used to use eagle one, but swithched to mequiars spray on tire dressing. 303 aerospace protectant is also one of the best products to use on anything.

·
Registered
06 Pre-unner Access
32 Posts
Tire Care Kit

The Michelin web site has info on the care and cleaning of tires.They have a three part system for cleaning and "shining" your tires. I have been using it for three years. works great and doesn' t harm the tires.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Like tires that look new, not oily and shiny? How about the exterior plastic of your vehicle? You will love our Vinyl, Rubber, and Tire Dressing. Enhance and protect the appearance of plastic, rubber, tires, moldings, and all vinyl surfaces. Adam’s V.R.T. is water-based, and contains no harmful solvents or alcohol. The thick moisturizing cream applies easily with a sponge and will not leave a greasy film, attract dirt, or harm paint and glass. Added U.V. protection keeps vehicle interiors and exteriors looking and feeling like new. New 16oz size!

Thanks,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts