Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
92 Corolla, 90 Camry
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following site seems to be a one stop shop on all the tire manufacturers out there (some I've never heard of). It gives various specs, links to the manufacturers warranty info i.e. kumho tire, recalls and alot of very useful info so one doesn't have to spend hours of research.
"vehicle tire dot com"

www.vehicletire.com

One can look at the tread wear number (the mfg. assigns to themselves). It seems for passenger cars that each tread wear # starting at 300 and above to around 800 seems to correlate to a 10k increase in mileage or what the tire is rated at, but not necessarily what the mfg. advertises it at. I.E. tread wear 300 is 30K, tread wear 800 is 80K etc. Thus when people state the 60K tire they bought only lasted 40K, the tread wear # shouldn't be 600 but is really 400. Of course the tread wear varies based on the speed rating too. Thus for the same mfg tire and a specific model, a V rating will have lower mileage than a T rating and thus the tread wear is different. Buyers don't seem to take this into account but focus on the advertised mileage #. It seems there is a corelation between mileage and tire cost of $10 per 1K miles, i.e. $60 for 60K tire offset by about $5 per inch of rim size above 13/14 inch rims that serve as the base starting #.

For yokahama tires under the "rating" on the above website show some tires with a tread wear of "60". Seems really low since this would mean the tire should have a maximum rating of 6K miles.

For continentals the tread wear can be different for a given tire model by 100 between 16 inch vs. 17 inch even though the advertised mileage is the same. Whereas some mfgs for a given tire will have the same tread wear # for "all sizes".

For General Altimax there will be one tread wear # for sizes <185 and another for >195 vs the wheel size, or speed rating.

So one will need to factor in alot of things across tire mfgs or for the same tire mfg and tire model name for passenger cars to see if the max mileage expected to get out of the tire is achievable with ones car. Even the tire load index rating and where the tire is located on the car (front engine weight, rear no weight vs. SUV used as truck) etc. impacts the max mileage to be gotten out of the tire.

I don't have a truck to be able to summarize how long a truck tire will last vs. what is advertised, nor know what a typical max tire mileage rating is across mfgs even for the best tire out there. I.e. are there 80K mile tires for trucks? What about those that go on semi-tractor trailers?

Note: the above website for "warranty" for the kumho tire pulls up a lengthy company spec sheet. It gives alot of details on the DOT requirements and how tires are rated. It also gives which tire types are OEM tires on a given car mfg. to include spare tire. One of the interesting paragraphs states for race track cars that camber is -0.5 to -1.5 degrees or if used on different road crowns. It also says for wet conditions to set tire pressure 3 to 5 psi below max cold inflate pressure on a dry road. (In future need the computer in the car to automatically inflate/deflate based on sensed weather). Nothing mentioned on setting front tire psi lower than rear tires. Nothing on run flat. Moreover, there is nothing mentioned on the website for all car mfgs in the tables whether the tires are steel belts and how many, polyester belts, aramid (kevlar) or sidewall construction. I guess when its marked "radial" it means some form of steel/polyester/aramid belting is used.

I know I had years ago firestone/general tires (I forget which) and got a flat at highway speed. Before I could slow down and get to the side of the road the tire was shredded and couldn't be fixed. I thought all radial tires would at least hold together til one could get to the side of the road so that the tire could be swapped and eventually have the flat fixed. I realize they weren't run flat, but I only had driven it less than 0.1 miles to get from fast lane to right shoulder to stop. So after that I went to michelins, but now not to many make 13 inch rim tires for my corolla ( i have a camry too with michelins defender T&H).

So take a look at all the information the above website compiled for easy reference.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts