Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is for an elderly friend of mine. She has a 2011 Prius she bought new which has never given her any problems before. A few weeks ago a noise started coming from the front of the car while it is moving. I rode in it and it sounds a lot like the sound an aggressive truck tire would make on pavement, it gets louder and softer with speed.

She took it to an independent mechanic and he did not find the problem. He said he thought it may be a wheel bearing. I asked her why he did not change it and she said he told her "to wait until it really got bad and made much more noise.". I thought this was pretty stupid of him and told me he had no idea what was going on with the car. I am afraid that maybe her continuing to drive the car may be damaging more components which will make it even more expensive to repair in the future.

She is in her early 80s and trying not to spend any more money than she needs to. I know quite a bit about automobiles and have worked on them all my life, but I have never owned a Prius or any other Hybrid automobile.

If anyone has had a similar experience with a Prius thank-you for your experience in advance....

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Ever get this figured out? Simple way to troubleshoot it would be to rotate the tires. If the noise is unchanged, probably a bearing. if not, maybe a bearing, maybe a tire. Or take it to another shop for a second opinion. nothing wrong with that.

Having worked in a shop several years doing a lot of tire and suspension work, I've seen wheel bearings fail with a hundred different symptoms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thought the same on a 2010 Prius. Wheel bearing? CV joint? I think I didn't notice the level of the road noise increasing gradually. Then after noticing it it drove me nuts. Rotating the tires didn't really fix my issue very much since I was regularly rotating them. Tires were due for replacement so got that done and that was it. The new tires were silent.:smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts