Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
best tire i have found Nokian Entyre 2.0. Low rolling resistant, 80k mile warranty, excellent traction. got those for my prius (which goes through tires, all of them do, just wears them out), and my gas mileage stayed at 52mpg, had the best traction i have ever gotten on my prius and after 2500 miles the 100% wearbar was still showing. so they are going on all my other cars when i get tires.

·
straight cash homie
18,941 Posts

It does have a warranty, but IMO, the performance of the tire is to be desired... I myself splurged three years ago and went with Michelin Premier A/S in the same size and V rated also. So far, its probably got another year or two before I replace. However, if I had to buy them again, I might not do so since the prices went up. I got mine when they had some really good discounts.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S Plus
21 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of Continental True Contacts. They are rated at 80k, but I was pushing it at 75k with my last set. I run these through Pennsylvania snow, climbing a 9% grade and I've never gotten stuck. I find it comparable in handling with the Firestones that it originally came with.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
Falken Sincera SN250 AS 215/45r17 87V BSW. Opinions? Are they any good?
Do yourself a favor and replace them with 225/45R17 as that is the proper 25" diameter. Every other tire size that the Corolla uses are that diameter but the 215/45R17 is almost 1/2" smaller. I've never used the Falken tires. It all depends on what you want from the tire. On my 2009 Corolla S Turbo I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3. They are the best handling tire I've ever used, simply amazing as the grip in corners is crazy.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
best tire i have found Nokian Entyre 2.0. Low rolling resistant, 80k mile warranty, excellent traction. got those for my prius (which goes through tires, all of them do, just wears them out), and my gas mileage stayed at 52mpg, had the best traction i have ever gotten on my prius and after 2500 miles the 100% wearbar was still showing. so they are going on all my other cars when i get tires.
While a LRR tire is great for better MPG, just by the design of it they will never provide great traction compared to a tire that is deigned to provide truly great traction in wet and dry conditions. Good to know though for people looking for a good LRR tire to get the best possible MPG. For those looking for maximum traction it will never measure up to my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 which has been tested and rated to be one of the best handling tires, period.

I also have a 2010 Prius that my wife drives. I just replaced the tires on her Prius but upgraded from 15" wheels to a super lightweight wheel that was designed for the Prius in Japan. I was able to get my hands on a new set of 16" wheels that only weigh 10 lbs each. I bought a set of 195/60R16 Yokohama Ascend LRR tires and they have been great in the first few thousands miles. They are very quiet and seem to handle just fine as my wife doesn't drive her Prius like I do my 2009 Corolla S Turbo. MPG have remained at 52-54 MPG while the temps have stayed okay outside.

Here are the new wheels and tires.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of Continental True Contacts. They are rated at 80k, but I was pushing it at 75k with my last set. I run these through Pennsylvania snow, climbing a 9% grade and I've never gotten stuck. I find it comparable in handling with the Firestones that it originally came with.
If you bought a set of winter wheels and tires you would never use an A/S tire in the snow again. They brake and steer so much better and provide much better traction in any conditions under 45F. This also allows your 3 season tires to give you more years of service so the cost isn't really any more over all. I've seen tests that show a 2WD car with winter tires going up a grade better than a AWD/4WD vehicle with standard tires. And to be the most important part is the much better braking and steering.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While a LRR tire is great for better MPG, just by the design of it they will never provide great traction compared to a tire that is deigned to provide truly great traction in wet and dry conditions. Good to know though for people looking for a good LRR tire to get the best possible MPG. For those looking for maximum traction it will never measure up to my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 which has been tested and rated to be one of the best handling tires, period.

I also have a 2010 Prius that my wife drives. I just replaced the tires on her Prius but upgraded from 15" wheels to a super lightweight wheel that was designed for the Prius in Japan. I was able to get my hands on a new set of 16" wheels that only weigh 10 lbs each. I bought a set of 195/60R16 Yokohama Ascend LRR tires and they have been great in the first few thousands miles. They are very quiet and seem to handle just fine as my wife doesn't drive her Prius like I do my 2009 Corolla S Turbo. MPG have remained at 52-54 MPG while the temps have stayed okay outside.

Here are the new wheels and tires.
sharp looking car.. for sure. i don't have experince with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 but i believe you. so i guess it comes down to what blackcorrolla78 is looking for. i had a set of yokahama avid acent tires on my prius and lots of white knuckle driving. when i put the nokian entyre 2.0 on it. it would plow through the heaviest rain and never lose traction, did really well in snow too. my goal was to keep mpg and not drive the car like a sports car, but other people would rather have sports car type driving.. it really depends on the goals. appreciate your inputs though. good to know about the michelin tire. i trust your review over just reading things online.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do yourself a favor and replace them with 225/45R17 as that is the proper 25" diameter. Every other tire size that the Corolla uses are that diameter but the 215/45R17 is almost 1/2" smaller. I've never used the Falken tires. It all depends on what you want from the tire. On my 2009 Corolla S Turbo I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3. They are the best handling tire I've ever used, simply amazing as the grip in corners is crazy.
SuperchargedMR2, what about 205/50R17s do you still run those in the winter time? aren't they about 25inches diameter?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
sharp looking car.. for sure. i don't have experince with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 but i believe you. so i guess it comes down to what blackcorrolla78 is looking for. i had a set of yokahama avid acent tires on my prius and lots of white knuckle driving. when i put the nokian entyre 2.0 on it. it would plow through the heaviest rain and never lose traction, did really well in snow too. my goal was to keep mpg and not drive the car like a sports car, but other people would rather have sports car type driving.. it really depends on the goals. appreciate your inputs though. good to know about the michelin tire. i trust your review over just reading things online.
I live in Washington so we get plenty of rain. So far the Yokohama Avid Ascends have been excellent in the heaviest of rain. The Prius is a DD for my wife so she drives it fairly easy. I wanted a tire with fantastic stick in my 09 Corolla S Turbo. The Prius is a lot more sensitive to different types of tires. My Corolla varies a lot less in that regard.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
SuperchargedMR2, what about 205/50R17s do you still run those in the winter time? aren't they about 25inches diameter?
Yep, I use 205/50R17 Michelin X-Ice X3 winter tires for my Corolla and 195/65R15 on my wife's Prius.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Supercharged. My mother used to have Yokohama avid ascend tires on her old 07 Camry. They were horrible. They had no traction in snow and rain.
Maybe you can explain it to me theses were LRR tires. I heard with these kind of tires the mpg is better but traction in rain and snow is terrible. Thanks

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
Supercharged. My mother used to have Yokohama avid ascend tires on her old 07 Camry. They were horrible. They had no traction in snow and rain.
Maybe you can explain it to me theses were LRR tires. I heard with these kind of tires the mpg is better but traction in rain and snow is terrible. Thanks
LRR tires will give up some traction compared to higher performance tires in wet and dry conditions but produce better MPG so everyone has to pick what they want on their car. I put the Yokohama Avid Ascend tires on my wife's 2010 Prius that she uses for work so nothing crazy is expected from these tires. They have been excellent in the dry and wet, even heavy rain conditions so far. I have some Yokohama YK580 tires on my 2006 Scion xB and I hate them in the rain. They are just fine on dry pavement but feel like grease on wet roads, I hate them. The Yokohama Avid Ascend tires are much better. I had Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires on the Prius before and they feel similar to those tires on both wet and dry roads. Now keep in mind that these tires are no where near as good as my Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 tires on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo. For that car I wanted maximum performance as I drive it much differently and MPG was not an important feature.

In snow I will never use an all-season tire as they all suck in snow. I don't understand why people settle for them when a winter tire works so much better. I use Michelin X-Ice X3 winter tires in the winter and they are fantastic and provide much better traction, braking and steering.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Supercharged. I have cooper cs5 grand touring tires on my wife’s Subaru Forester and they seem good. Also how are all weather tires. This is something I keep hearing about. Thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
Supercharged. I have cooper cs5 grand touring tires on my wife’s Subaru Forester and they seem good. Also how are all weather tires. This is something I keep hearing about. Thanks.
I've never experienced one of the newer all weather tires but I have to believe that they would be similar to all-season tires with a different name. All-season and all weather tires face the same issues with making the rubber perform in all temps and conditions which results in an average tire in all conditions while being great in no conditions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never experienced one of the newer all weather tires but I have to believe that they would be similar to all-season tires with a different name. All-season and all weather tires face the same issues with making the rubber perform in all temps and conditions which results in an average tire in all conditions while being great in no conditions.
The All-weather ones, are actually better it would appear.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Supercharged. Have you ever tried the cooper cs5 grand touring tires. They are good. I never tried any Michelin tires before. You are saying the Michelin pilot tires are very good. Thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,453 Posts
Supercharged. Have you ever tried the cooper cs5 grand touring tires. They are good. I never tried any Michelin tires before. You are saying the Michelin pilot tires are very good. Thanks.
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport line is an ultra high performance tire. It will outperform any touring tire as they are built for 2 different types of cars or drivers. I've never tried the Cooper CS5 but I don't generally buy touring tires. I prefer tires that provide better handling, braking and steering feel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts